Re: Pension Information

  • Robert Boynton
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 18, 2003
      Old Age Pension Applications and records are destroyed two years after the
      death of the individual.

      Rob Boynton
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 19, 2003
        Thanks to all. I am not sure where to look next. We have tried to find his birth in Ireland and
        England, and without that we can't go back any further. The old age pension application was our
        last hope.

        Thanks again.
        Elaine

        Robert Boynton <rctboynton@...> said:

        > Old Age Pension Applications and records are destroyed two years after the
        > death of the individual.
        >
        > Rob Boynton

      • Carol Lylyk
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 19, 2003
          Hello Elaine,
          Would your husband's grandfather have been living in 1940?
          http://users.accesscomm.ca/doukhobor.genealogy/National-Registration.htm In
          1940 the government registered everyone over 16 (I think was the age) so
          they would know what man power they would be able to call on for fighting.
          This site (even if it does say doukhober genealogy) explains how to order a
          copy of that registration. The unfortunate thing is that it is pricey -
          48.50 I think is what it costs and you do have to prove to person is
          deceased. It will have the birth date and birth place on it.

          Carol Lylyk

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 19, 2003
            Hi Elaine,

            Did he serve in the first world war? I found amazing stuff for a client on
            the ArchiviaNet database at http://www.archives.ca/02/0201_e.html

            If you find a hit, it will take you to the reproduction of the pages. My
            client didn't even know whether his great grandfather had served or not but
            when we did the search, we found several with the right name but only one
            was a match but it gave his next-of-kin as his wife and it gave the address
            where she was living in Scotland at the time. Through this address we were
            able to locate the birth, etc. records in Scotland as we had not known the
            location prior to this. Also we found his wife's family in the same area and
            his wife's brother who was a wrestling champion in Scotland, Then he came to
            Canada and later went to Philadelphia and became a famous wrestling coach at
            a university. When you find the right key you never know what doors may
            open.

            So take a try and who knows what you may find! Good luck.

            à bientôt,

            Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 20, 2003
              I forgot to mention I even found a scandal for this client. The wrestling
              coach great granduncle of his had a wife who after bearing him six children
              ran off with the assistant coach and remarried becoming a bigamist. She then
              fled to her parents home in Scotland to escape the charges. Found through
              newspapers and divorce petition.

              Check newspapers in the area and court records. You never know what may turn
              up.

              Xenia