Re: Pension Information

  • briansfriends@shaw.ca
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 18 7:44 AM
      I'll just past this on in case you get the same results I did. I tried the google search like John said and it came up empty for me. I modified the search slightly by putting the quotes around the first four words and leaving 'history' outside the quotes and that worked.

      Brian

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 18 8:41 AM
        Old Age Pension Applications and records are destroyed two years after the
        death of the individual.

        Rob Boynton

      • butlere@netidea.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 19 5:18 PM
          Thanks to all. I am not sure where to look next. We have tried to find his birth in Ireland and
          England, and without that we can't go back any further. The old age pension application was our
          last hope.

          Thanks again.
          Elaine

          Robert Boynton <rctboynton@...> said:

          > Old Age Pension Applications and records are destroyed two years after the
          > death of the individual.
          >
          > Rob Boynton

        • Carol Lylyk
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 19 9:44 PM
            Hello Elaine,
            Would your husband's grandfather have been living in 1940?
            http://users.accesscomm.ca/doukhobor.genealogy/National-Registration.htm In
            1940 the government registered everyone over 16 (I think was the age) so
            they would know what man power they would be able to call on for fighting.
            This site (even if it does say doukhober genealogy) explains how to order a
            copy of that registration. The unfortunate thing is that it is pricey -
            48.50 I think is what it costs and you do have to prove to person is
            deceased. It will have the birth date and birth place on it.

            Carol Lylyk

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 19 9:56 PM
              Hi Elaine,

              Did he serve in the first world war? I found amazing stuff for a client on
              the ArchiviaNet database at http://www.archives.ca/02/0201_e.html

              If you find a hit, it will take you to the reproduction of the pages. My
              client didn't even know whether his great grandfather had served or not but
              when we did the search, we found several with the right name but only one
              was a match but it gave his next-of-kin as his wife and it gave the address
              where she was living in Scotland at the time. Through this address we were
              able to locate the birth, etc. records in Scotland as we had not known the
              location prior to this. Also we found his wife's family in the same area and
              his wife's brother who was a wrestling champion in Scotland, Then he came to
              Canada and later went to Philadelphia and became a famous wrestling coach at
              a university. When you find the right key you never know what doors may
              open.

              So take a try and who knows what you may find! Good luck.

              à bientôt,

              Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 20 10:29 AM
                I forgot to mention I even found a scandal for this client. The wrestling
                coach great granduncle of his had a wife who after bearing him six children
                ran off with the assistant coach and remarried becoming a bigamist. She then
                fled to her parents home in Scotland to escape the charges. Found through
                newspapers and divorce petition.

                Check newspapers in the area and court records. You never know what may turn
                up.

                Xenia