Pension Information

  • Elaine & Wayne Butler
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 17 10:18 PM
      Has anyone attempted to get any information from the Federal Government
      regarding information that would have been given at the time of requesting
      the social security pension? Having hit the proverbial brick wall, this is
      the last thing we can think of to find birth information on my husband's
      grandfather. Also, what year was the pension introduced? Any assistance
      will be greatly appreciated.

      Elaine

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • John Doyle
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 18 7:29 AM
        Elaine,

        For information on Canada's old age pensions do a "GOOGLE" search on:

        "canada old age pension history"

        Use the quotation marks in the search line.

        JBD

      • briansfriends@shaw.ca
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 18 7:44 AM
          I'll just past this on in case you get the same results I did. I tried the google search like John said and it came up empty for me. I modified the search slightly by putting the quotes around the first four words and leaving 'history' outside the quotes and that worked.

          Brian

          > For information on Canada's old age pensions do a "GOOGLE" search on:
          >
          > "canada old age pension history"
          >
          > Use the quotation marks in the search line.
          >

          > JBD

        • Robert Boynton
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 18 8:41 AM
            Old Age Pension Applications and records are destroyed two years after the
            death of the individual.

            Rob Boynton

          • butlere@netidea.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 19 5:18 PM
              Thanks to all. I am not sure where to look next. We have tried to find his birth in Ireland and
              England, and without that we can't go back any further. The old age pension application was our
              last hope.

              Thanks again.
              Elaine

              Robert Boynton <rctboynton@...> said:

              > Old Age Pension Applications and records are destroyed two years after the
              > death of the individual.
              >
              > Rob Boynton

            • Carol Lylyk
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 19 9:44 PM
                Hello Elaine,
                Would your husband's grandfather have been living in 1940?
                http://users.accesscomm.ca/doukhobor.genealogy/National-Registration.htm In
                1940 the government registered everyone over 16 (I think was the age) so
                they would know what man power they would be able to call on for fighting.
                This site (even if it does say doukhober genealogy) explains how to order a
                copy of that registration. The unfortunate thing is that it is pricey -
                48.50 I think is what it costs and you do have to prove to person is
                deceased. It will have the birth date and birth place on it.

                Carol Lylyk

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 19 9:56 PM
                  Hi Elaine,

                  Did he serve in the first world war? I found amazing stuff for a client on
                  the ArchiviaNet database at http://www.archives.ca/02/0201_e.html

                  If you find a hit, it will take you to the reproduction of the pages. My
                  client didn't even know whether his great grandfather had served or not but
                  when we did the search, we found several with the right name but only one
                  was a match but it gave his next-of-kin as his wife and it gave the address
                  where she was living in Scotland at the time. Through this address we were
                  able to locate the birth, etc. records in Scotland as we had not known the
                  location prior to this. Also we found his wife's family in the same area and
                  his wife's brother who was a wrestling champion in Scotland, Then he came to
                  Canada and later went to Philadelphia and became a famous wrestling coach at
                  a university. When you find the right key you never know what doors may
                  open.

                  So take a try and who knows what you may find! Good luck.

                  à bientôt,

                  Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 20 10:29 AM
                    I forgot to mention I even found a scandal for this client. The wrestling
                    coach great granduncle of his had a wife who after bearing him six children
                    ran off with the assistant coach and remarried becoming a bigamist. She then
                    fled to her parents home in Scotland to escape the charges. Found through
                    newspapers and divorce petition.

                    Check newspapers in the area and court records. You never know what may turn
                    up.

                    Xenia