Re: 1911 census

  • Rene Dussome
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 16, 2003
      Lois:

      > Upon taking a closer look at the Federal Government lawyers' written
      > argument, I note that one of their arguments is that our Applicant
      > (Mertie Beatty) has not requested access to the 1911 census from the
      > National Archivist. I guess we all know what to do about that!

      Are we supposed to write to:

      Chief Statistician (initial request) enclosing $5
      National Archivist (further request) another $5?
      Information Commissioner (complaint) no money

      Is my application incomplete because I followed steps 1 and 3 but did
      not write to the National Archivist?

      Rene

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Rene Dussome
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 16, 2003
        Dear Lois:

        I will send an ATI request to the National Archivist tomorrow, together
        with a further $5. Incidentally, my original cheque for $5 to the Chief
        Statistician has not yet been cashed.

        Rene

        > Your application was not incomplete. There is a new argument I am
        > facing in court that tries to make something out of Mertie Beatty not
        > also requesting access to the 1911 census from the National Archivist.
        > might like to demonstrate their commitment to our cause by sending
        > another ATI request, this time to the National Archivist. We know
        > what his response will be but we knew what the Chief Statistician's
        > response would be, too. It will cost another $5 and postage.
        >
        > Lois Sparling
        >
        > Rene Dussome wrote:
        >
        > > Lois:
        > >

        > >> Upon taking a closer look at the Federal Government lawyers'
        > >> written
        > >> argument, I note that one of their arguments is that our Applicant
        > >> (Mertie Beatty) has not requested access to the 1911 census from
        > >> the
        > >> National Archivist. I guess we all know what to do about that!
        > >>

        > > Are we supposed to write to:
        > >
        > > Chief Statistician (initial request) enclosing $5
        > > National Archivist (further request) another $5?
        > > Information Commissioner (complaint) no money
        > >
        > > Is my application incomplete because I followed steps 1 and 3 but
        > > did
        > > not write to the National Archivist?
        > >
        > > Rene
        > >
        > > http://www.afhs.ab.ca

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Lois Sparling

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 17, 2003
            The access to information co-ordinator for the National Archives is
            Julie Attallah. Her mailing address is: The National Archives of
            Canada, 395 Wellington St., room 350, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N3. You can
            drop off your ATI form and $5 cheque at my office or home to go with
            mine and others by courier since there is the possibility of a postal
            strike. There is a link to the ATI form on our AFHS site. My office is
            at #1400, 550- 6 Ave. SW. My home is at 38 Hallbrook Dr. SW (grey house
            on the outside corner with bushy Russian Olive tree in the front).

            Lois Sparling

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Ronna L. Byam
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 16, 2004
              I found this on the Ontario Genealogy society website.
              Ronna Byam
              Chair, Ontario SIG
            • Lois Sparling
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 16, 2004
                This is the improved compromise solution now before the Senate as Bill S-18.

                Lois Sparling

                Ronna L. Byam wrote:
                I found this on the Ontario Genealogy society website.
                Ronna Byam
                Chair, Ontario SIG
              • Carol Lylyk
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 14, 2006
                  This was posted on the Lincolnshire list.

                  Carol Lylyk