Re: 1911 census

  • Mertie Beatty
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 15, 2003
      Dear Lois:
      On June 2nd I sent my cheque for $5.00 to the Receiver General of Canada
      along with my request for access to the 1911 Census
      Record.
      I have a reply dated June 27th from Pamela White refusing me access.
      What is the address of the National Archivist?
      Do I need to send another $5.00?

      Today I also wrote a letter to John Reid questioning my refusal. I have
      not taken this letter to the mail yet. Should I send it?
      Why the run-around?

      Mertie Beatty

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 16, 2003
        Lois:

        > Upon taking a closer look at the Federal Government lawyers' written
        > argument, I note that one of their arguments is that our Applicant
        > (Mertie Beatty) has not requested access to the 1911 census from the
        > National Archivist. I guess we all know what to do about that!

        Are we supposed to write to:

        Chief Statistician (initial request) enclosing $5
        National Archivist (further request) another $5?
        Information Commissioner (complaint) no money

        Is my application incomplete because I followed steps 1 and 3 but did
        not write to the National Archivist?

        Rene

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Rene Dussome
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 16, 2003
          Dear Lois:

          I will send an ATI request to the National Archivist tomorrow, together
          with a further $5. Incidentally, my original cheque for $5 to the Chief
          Statistician has not yet been cashed.

          Rene

          > Your application was not incomplete. There is a new argument I am
          > facing in court that tries to make something out of Mertie Beatty not
          > also requesting access to the 1911 census from the National Archivist.
          > might like to demonstrate their commitment to our cause by sending
          > another ATI request, this time to the National Archivist. We know
          > what his response will be but we knew what the Chief Statistician's
          > response would be, too. It will cost another $5 and postage.
          >
          > Lois Sparling
          >
          > Rene Dussome wrote:
          >
          > > Lois:
          > >

          > >> Upon taking a closer look at the Federal Government lawyers'
          > >> written
          > >> argument, I note that one of their arguments is that our Applicant
          > >> (Mertie Beatty) has not requested access to the 1911 census from
          > >> the
          > >> National Archivist. I guess we all know what to do about that!
          > >>

          > > Are we supposed to write to:
          > >
          > > Chief Statistician (initial request) enclosing $5
          > > National Archivist (further request) another $5?
          > > Information Commissioner (complaint) no money
          > >
          > > Is my application incomplete because I followed steps 1 and 3 but
          > > did
          > > not write to the National Archivist?
          > >
          > > Rene
          > >
          > > http://www.afhs.ab.ca

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • Lois Sparling

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 17, 2003
              The access to information co-ordinator for the National Archives is
              Julie Attallah. Her mailing address is: The National Archives of
              Canada, 395 Wellington St., room 350, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N3. You can
              drop off your ATI form and $5 cheque at my office or home to go with
              mine and others by courier since there is the possibility of a postal
              strike. There is a link to the ATI form on our AFHS site. My office is
              at #1400, 550- 6 Ave. SW. My home is at 38 Hallbrook Dr. SW (grey house
              on the outside corner with bushy Russian Olive tree in the front).

              Lois Sparling

              http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            • Ronna L. Byam
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 16, 2004
                I found this on the Ontario Genealogy society website.
                Ronna Byam
                Chair, Ontario SIG
              • Lois Sparling
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 16, 2004
                  This is the improved compromise solution now before the Senate as Bill S-18.

                  Lois Sparling

                  Ronna L. Byam wrote:
                  I found this on the Ontario Genealogy society website.
                  Ronna Byam
                  Chair, Ontario SIG
                • Carol Lylyk
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 14, 2006
                    This was posted on the Lincolnshire list.

                    Carol Lylyk