Re: 1911 census

  • Mertie Beatty
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 15, 2003
      Dear Lois:
      On June 2nd I sent my cheque for $5.00 to the Receiver General of Canada
      along with my request for access to the 1911 Census
      Record.
      I have a reply dated June 27th from Pamela White refusing me access.
      What is the address of the National Archivist?
      Do I need to send another $5.00?

      Today I also wrote a letter to John Reid questioning my refusal. I have
      not taken this letter to the mail yet. Should I send it?
      Why the run-around?

      Mertie Beatty

      > Upon taking a closer look at the Federal Government lawyers' written
      > argument, I note that one of their arguments is that our Applicant
      > (Mertie Beatty) has not requested access to the 1911 census from the
      > National Archivist. I guess we all know what to do about that!
      >
      > Lois Sparling

    • Lois Sparling
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 15, 2003
        Upon taking a closer look at the Federal Government lawyers' written
        argument, I note that one of their arguments is that our Applicant
        (Mertie Beatty) has not requested access to the 1911 census from the
        National Archivist. I guess we all know what to do about that!

        Lois Sparling

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Rene Dussome
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 16, 2003
          Lois:

          > Upon taking a closer look at the Federal Government lawyers' written
          > argument, I note that one of their arguments is that our Applicant
          > (Mertie Beatty) has not requested access to the 1911 census from the
          > National Archivist. I guess we all know what to do about that!

          Are we supposed to write to:

          Chief Statistician (initial request) enclosing $5
          National Archivist (further request) another $5?
          Information Commissioner (complaint) no money

          Is my application incomplete because I followed steps 1 and 3 but did
          not write to the National Archivist?

          Rene

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • Rene Dussome
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 16, 2003
            Dear Lois:

            I will send an ATI request to the National Archivist tomorrow, together
            with a further $5. Incidentally, my original cheque for $5 to the Chief
            Statistician has not yet been cashed.

            Rene

            > Your application was not incomplete. There is a new argument I am
            > facing in court that tries to make something out of Mertie Beatty not
            > also requesting access to the 1911 census from the National Archivist.
            > might like to demonstrate their commitment to our cause by sending
            > another ATI request, this time to the National Archivist. We know
            > what his response will be but we knew what the Chief Statistician's
            > response would be, too. It will cost another $5 and postage.
            >
            > Lois Sparling
            >
            > Rene Dussome wrote:
            >
            > > Lois:
            > >

            > >> Upon taking a closer look at the Federal Government lawyers'
            > >> written
            > >> argument, I note that one of their arguments is that our Applicant
            > >> (Mertie Beatty) has not requested access to the 1911 census from
            > >> the
            > >> National Archivist. I guess we all know what to do about that!
            > >>

            > > Are we supposed to write to:
            > >
            > > Chief Statistician (initial request) enclosing $5
            > > National Archivist (further request) another $5?
            > > Information Commissioner (complaint) no money
            > >
            > > Is my application incomplete because I followed steps 1 and 3 but
            > > did
            > > not write to the National Archivist?
            > >
            > > Rene
            > >
            > > http://www.afhs.ab.ca

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Lois Sparling

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 17, 2003
                The access to information co-ordinator for the National Archives is
                Julie Attallah. Her mailing address is: The National Archives of
                Canada, 395 Wellington St., room 350, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N3. You can
                drop off your ATI form and $5 cheque at my office or home to go with
                mine and others by courier since there is the possibility of a postal
                strike. There is a link to the ATI form on our AFHS site. My office is
                at #1400, 550- 6 Ave. SW. My home is at 38 Hallbrook Dr. SW (grey house
                on the outside corner with bushy Russian Olive tree in the front).

                Lois Sparling

                http://www.afhs.ab.ca
              • Ronna L. Byam
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 16, 2004
                  I found this on the Ontario Genealogy society website.
                  Ronna Byam
                  Chair, Ontario SIG
                • Lois Sparling
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 16, 2004
                    This is the improved compromise solution now before the Senate as Bill S-18.

                    Lois Sparling

                    Ronna L. Byam wrote:
                    I found this on the Ontario Genealogy society website.
                    Ronna Byam
                    Chair, Ontario SIG
                  • Carol Lylyk
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 14, 2006
                      This was posted on the Lincolnshire list.

                      Carol Lylyk