RE: 1911 AND LATER CANADIAN CENSUS

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2003
      Hi Bill,

      I did not receive this request before. Now that I see it I am very happy to
      provide a sample. I have many examples from which to choose.

      For example, the 1851 census of the family of Joseph Stanford from England
      who married a French Canadian woman in Montreal in 1835 and by 1851 had 8
      children and were living in St-Roch Ward in Quebec city. The family did not
      believe me that this part of the ancestors had lived in Quebec City because
      most returned, lived and died in Montreal when the father retired.

      Only three more children were born to the family after 1851 - one of which
      is not on the 1861 census because he died at birth but upon locating the
      birth date (year) from the 1861 census of their only son I found the record
      for his twin brother who died the same day (or was stillborn) as the
      multi-great grandfather of my children was born. The other new child on the
      census was daughter number 9 and looks like they had given up on having a
      son to name after the father so they called her Josephine. She was born in
      1852 and the boys were not born until 1856 when the mother was 42.

      The census records showed me the dates and places to search for the
      birth/baptism records of all the children except for one that is still my
      mystery child. She is on the 1851 census as born in 1846 in Quebec City. She
      does not appear on the 1861 census nor have I been able to find any other
      records of her. I would not even know there was a Victoria Stanford born in
      this family without the census record.

      Of course, you will want me to give you the roll/film and page numbers for
      these should you choose this as your example. I will have to look in my
      binder where I stored the sheet but I will wait to see if you choose mine or
      find others.

      If you wish a later example, let me know as I can provide ones up to 1906
      from clients but my own family did not arrive in the west until 1908 so I am
      anxiously awaiting the release of 1911 and beyond.

      a bientot,

      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564