1881 census

  • Carol Lylyk
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 10, 2003
      Hi,  I have the 1881 census CDs which worked on my computer previously but now when I try to access any information on them I get this error message:

      Run-time error: 2147319779(8002801d)

      Automation error
      Application-defined or object-defined error.

      I installed the Viewer on my old computer and it works fine there so it has to be something that is missing on this computer.  I uninstalled the program and reinstalled it twice but get the same message each time.

      Hopefully someone can come up with an answer.  I know the 1881 census is online on the LDS site but I would like to know why the CDs won't work on my computer.

      Thanks for any suggestions.

      Carol Lylyk
    • Charlie Hansen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 10, 2003
        Hello Carol,

        On 10 Jul 2003 you wrote:

        > I have the 1881 census CDs which worked on my computer previously but now
        > when I try to access any information on them I get this error message:
        >

        > Run-time error: 2147319779(8002801d)
        >
        > Automation error
        > Application-defined or object-defined error.
        >
        > I installed the Viewer on my old computer and it works fine there so it
        > has to be something that is missing on this computer. I uninstalled the
        > program and reinstalled it twice but get the same message each time.

        Are you running Windows XP on your new computer? There are some
        application programs that will not function properly under XP. I believe
        there is an update or patch (New reader program?) available to fix your
        problem, but I can't recall which list I saw it on. Perhaps someone else
        running XP can help, if that is your OS.

        Charlie Hansen
        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Carol Lylyk
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 10, 2003
          Hello Charlie,
          Sorry I should have said that I have Windows ME and that the program did run
          fine when I first installed it. I hadn't used it for quite awhile because
          of the online version so don't know when it started having a problem.

          Carol Lylyk

          > > I have the 1881 census CDs which worked on my computer previously but
          now
          > > when I try to access any information on them I get this error message:
          > >

          > > Run-time error: 2147319779(8002801d)
          > >
          > > Automation error
          > > Application-defined or object-defined error.
          > >
          > > I installed the Viewer on my old computer and it works fine there so it
          > > has to be something that is missing on this computer. I uninstalled the
          > > program and reinstalled it twice but get the same message each time.
          > >

          > Are you running Windows XP on your new computer? There are some
          > application programs that will not function properly under XP. I believe
          > there is an update or patch (New reader program?) available to fix your
          > problem, but I can't recall which list I saw it on. Perhaps someone else
          > running XP can help, if that is your OS.
          >
          > Charlie Hansen

        • E.Rodier
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 11, 2003
            Viewer 4.02 works fine with Windows XP and 1881 census CDs. Those who
            purchased 1881 CDs early may have Viewer 2 or 3.
            Elizabeth