Quebec finds

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10 10:15 AM
      I would like to mention to those with Quebec roots before 1750 a site called
      Les Grandes Familles at http://www.grandesfamilles.org/

      It is based on Jette though it does not always cite this. However, I find it
      highly accurate. It is one of the few web sources where you can trust the
      dates as long as you remember that
      1. n (n = naissance) = birth (followed by date and place of birth)
      2. b (b = baptême) = baptism (not born - so many misuse this as
      birthdate)(followed by date and place)
      Sometimes you will find n b followed by a date and place - this means the
      person was born and baptised on the same day at the same place.
      3. d (d = décès) = death
      4. s (s = sépulture) = burial
      5. ct (ct = contrat de mariage)= marriage contract not marriage and the word
      following the contract date is the name of the notary who drew up the
      contract and witnessed the signing - as all marriages in this period (as in
      France) had to have a marriage contract (like a prenuptial agreement) these
      records are valuable genealogical documents and sometimes the only record
      found for a marriage intention. The marriage may have (though usually not)
      occurred on the same day but to be sure note if it says ct alone or m ct
      (which means both occurred same day).
      6. m (m = mariage) = marriage
      Most important of all dates are in the following format: dd-mm-yyyy
      Again I find this is a very often wrongly entered piece of information.
      However, it makes quite a difference whether you enter 04-09-1678 as April
      9, 1678 or September 4, 1678 as this will cause confusion when trying to
      verify the record in the parish registers. That date should be entered
      September 4, 1678.

      There are many helpful pages in addition to the entries. There are places,
      professions and explanations of data as well as the alphabetical index which
      leads to the family entries.

      So that is my contribution for the day! Hope all are having a great
      genealogical summer. I am working on several clients' lines with dead ends
      and skeletons in the closet. So having fun when I can tear myself away from
      my gorgeous garden with its waterfall, pond and many plants.

      à bientôt,

      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 19 6:06 AM
        Sorry to bother you Judith but I wonder if you can tell me the procedure to
        follow to record a change in my address(fla@...) so I can continue to
        receive AFHS Dist-Gen messages. Much appreciated if you can help me.
        Fred

        > To all my friends at AFHS and on the dist-gen, I'd like to ask you to
        update
        > your address book entry for my personal address. I'll still be known as
        > webster@... for the AFHS work, but if you want to reach me
        > personally, I'll now be at:
        >
        > judith@...
        >
        > Because of the webrole that I carry in a number of settings, about 90-95%
        of
        > my mail is spam and so I have to start 'migrating' my e-mail address to
        > shake the trail of the spammers.
        >
        > Thanks. Hope all are well. The list seems to be a but quiet - no one
        > having any "finds"?
        >
        > In Kinship,
        > Judith Rempel, Webster
        > judith@...
        > and
        > webster@...

      • owner dist gen
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 20 2:01 PM
          Dear Fred and others,

          Go to the web page, on the right hand side see Dist gen link, which
          takes you here: http://www.afhs.ab.ca/dist-gen.html and you will see
          the instructions. Should you have any problems, please email me (not
          the whole list).