Re: email address

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2003
      Judii & all,
      Found a few relatives in 1910 or 1920 USA census in a link posted to a new
      FTM discussion list. "Here is a site that is free (for about a year). To
      access the census click on Heritage Quest Online. You can download the
      actual census page."
      http://www.sirin.lib.il.us/docs/mcl/docs/lib/genealogy.htm

      New ADSL modem purchased June 25 and new router are faster but lost some of
      the 2500 messages that piled up when I had no Internet service at all. "Just
      plug it in" turned into an UNPLANNED reformat of the C drive on the main
      computer to get the new modem working after nearly two weeks of experiments.
      Other than brief holidays, I've hardly ever missed reading daily messages
      about genealogy software since 1992 on Fidonet and 1995 on Internet.

      The main FTM TECH mailing list has been off completely since May 22.
      Frequent participants are having problems posting to some of the RootsWeb
      mailing lists this week so the overall volume in my inbox is down except for
      spam.

      There is a new Acrobat 6 for PDF files (haven't tried it myself) and
      continuing issues with genealogy reports that require RTF files opened in
      word processors.

      Advice to computer genealogists:
      Learn to backup up family data and restore files on a different computer to
      be prepared for the day that a hard drive fails or requires an UNPLANNED
      reformat (see above.) If you are satisfied to collect names and details,
      almost any genealogy software will do. If you plan to print reports and
      charts, enter the data in the same program used for printouts. File
      transfers are not getting any easier and some genealogy programs are
      incomplete without multiple utilities. -- Elizabeth

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10, 2003
        I would like to mention to those with Quebec roots before 1750 a site called
        Les Grandes Familles at http://www.grandesfamilles.org/

        It is based on Jette though it does not always cite this. However, I find it
        highly accurate. It is one of the few web sources where you can trust the
        dates as long as you remember that
        1. n (n = naissance) = birth (followed by date and place of birth)
        2. b (b = baptême) = baptism (not born - so many misuse this as
        birthdate)(followed by date and place)
        Sometimes you will find n b followed by a date and place - this means the
        person was born and baptised on the same day at the same place.
        3. d (d = décès) = death
        4. s (s = sépulture) = burial
        5. ct (ct = contrat de mariage)= marriage contract not marriage and the word
        following the contract date is the name of the notary who drew up the
        contract and witnessed the signing - as all marriages in this period (as in
        France) had to have a marriage contract (like a prenuptial agreement) these
        records are valuable genealogical documents and sometimes the only record
        found for a marriage intention. The marriage may have (though usually not)
        occurred on the same day but to be sure note if it says ct alone or m ct
        (which means both occurred same day).
        6. m (m = mariage) = marriage
        Most important of all dates are in the following format: dd-mm-yyyy
        Again I find this is a very often wrongly entered piece of information.
        However, it makes quite a difference whether you enter 04-09-1678 as April
        9, 1678 or September 4, 1678 as this will cause confusion when trying to
        verify the record in the parish registers. That date should be entered
        September 4, 1678.

        There are many helpful pages in addition to the entries. There are places,
        professions and explanations of data as well as the alphabetical index which
        leads to the family entries.

        So that is my contribution for the day! Hope all are having a great
        genealogical summer. I am working on several clients' lines with dead ends
        and skeletons in the closet. So having fun when I can tear myself away from
        my gorgeous garden with its waterfall, pond and many plants.

        à bientôt,

        Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 19, 2003
          Sorry to bother you Judith but I wonder if you can tell me the procedure to
          follow to record a change in my address(fla@...) so I can continue to
          receive AFHS Dist-Gen messages. Much appreciated if you can help me.
          Fred

          > To all my friends at AFHS and on the dist-gen, I'd like to ask you to
          update
          > your address book entry for my personal address. I'll still be known as
          > webster@... for the AFHS work, but if you want to reach me
          > personally, I'll now be at:
          >
          > judith@...
          >
          > Because of the webrole that I carry in a number of settings, about 90-95%
          of
          > my mail is spam and so I have to start 'migrating' my e-mail address to
          > shake the trail of the spammers.
          >
          > Thanks. Hope all are well. The list seems to be a but quiet - no one
          > having any "finds"?
          >
          > In Kinship,
          > Judith Rempel, Webster
          > judith@...
          > and
          > webster@...

        • owner dist gen
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 20, 2003
            Dear Fred and others,

            Go to the web page, on the right hand side see Dist gen link, which
            takes you here: http://www.afhs.ab.ca/dist-gen.html and you will see
            the instructions. Should you have any problems, please email me (not
            the whole list).