email address

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10 5:42 AM
      To all my friends at AFHS and on the dist-gen, I'd like to ask you to update
      your address book entry for my personal address. I'll still be known as
      webster@... for the AFHS work, but if you want to reach me
      personally, I'll now be at:

      judith@...

      Because of the webrole that I carry in a number of settings, about 90-95% of
      my mail is spam and so I have to start 'migrating' my e-mail address to
      shake the trail of the spammers.

      Thanks. Hope all are well. The list seems to be a but quiet - no one
      having any "finds"?

      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel, Webster
      judith@...
      and
      webster@...

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • E.Rodier
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10 7:19 AM
        Judii & all,
        Found a few relatives in 1910 or 1920 USA census in a link posted to a new
        FTM discussion list. "Here is a site that is free (for about a year). To
        access the census click on Heritage Quest Online. You can download the
        actual census page."
        http://www.sirin.lib.il.us/docs/mcl/docs/lib/genealogy.htm

        New ADSL modem purchased June 25 and new router are faster but lost some of
        the 2500 messages that piled up when I had no Internet service at all. "Just
        plug it in" turned into an UNPLANNED reformat of the C drive on the main
        computer to get the new modem working after nearly two weeks of experiments.
        Other than brief holidays, I've hardly ever missed reading daily messages
        about genealogy software since 1992 on Fidonet and 1995 on Internet.

        The main FTM TECH mailing list has been off completely since May 22.
        Frequent participants are having problems posting to some of the RootsWeb
        mailing lists this week so the overall volume in my inbox is down except for
        spam.

        There is a new Acrobat 6 for PDF files (haven't tried it myself) and
        continuing issues with genealogy reports that require RTF files opened in
        word processors.

        Advice to computer genealogists:
        Learn to backup up family data and restore files on a different computer to
        be prepared for the day that a hard drive fails or requires an UNPLANNED
        reformat (see above.) If you are satisfied to collect names and details,
        almost any genealogy software will do. If you plan to print reports and
        charts, enter the data in the same program used for printouts. File
        transfers are not getting any easier and some genealogy programs are
        incomplete without multiple utilities. -- Elizabeth

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10 10:15 AM
          I would like to mention to those with Quebec roots before 1750 a site called
          Les Grandes Familles at http://www.grandesfamilles.org/

          It is based on Jette though it does not always cite this. However, I find it
          highly accurate. It is one of the few web sources where you can trust the
          dates as long as you remember that
          1. n (n = naissance) = birth (followed by date and place of birth)
          2. b (b = baptême) = baptism (not born - so many misuse this as
          birthdate)(followed by date and place)
          Sometimes you will find n b followed by a date and place - this means the
          person was born and baptised on the same day at the same place.
          3. d (d = décès) = death
          4. s (s = sépulture) = burial
          5. ct (ct = contrat de mariage)= marriage contract not marriage and the word
          following the contract date is the name of the notary who drew up the
          contract and witnessed the signing - as all marriages in this period (as in
          France) had to have a marriage contract (like a prenuptial agreement) these
          records are valuable genealogical documents and sometimes the only record
          found for a marriage intention. The marriage may have (though usually not)
          occurred on the same day but to be sure note if it says ct alone or m ct
          (which means both occurred same day).
          6. m (m = mariage) = marriage
          Most important of all dates are in the following format: dd-mm-yyyy
          Again I find this is a very often wrongly entered piece of information.
          However, it makes quite a difference whether you enter 04-09-1678 as April
          9, 1678 or September 4, 1678 as this will cause confusion when trying to
          verify the record in the parish registers. That date should be entered
          September 4, 1678.

          There are many helpful pages in addition to the entries. There are places,
          professions and explanations of data as well as the alphabetical index which
          leads to the family entries.

          So that is my contribution for the day! Hope all are having a great
          genealogical summer. I am working on several clients' lines with dead ends
          and skeletons in the closet. So having fun when I can tear myself away from
          my gorgeous garden with its waterfall, pond and many plants.

          à bientôt,

          Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 19 6:06 AM
            Sorry to bother you Judith but I wonder if you can tell me the procedure to
            follow to record a change in my address(fla@...) so I can continue to
            receive AFHS Dist-Gen messages. Much appreciated if you can help me.
            Fred

            > To all my friends at AFHS and on the dist-gen, I'd like to ask you to
            update
            > your address book entry for my personal address. I'll still be known as
            > webster@... for the AFHS work, but if you want to reach me
            > personally, I'll now be at:
            >
            > judith@...
            >
            > Because of the webrole that I carry in a number of settings, about 90-95%
            of
            > my mail is spam and so I have to start 'migrating' my e-mail address to
            > shake the trail of the spammers.
            >
            > Thanks. Hope all are well. The list seems to be a but quiet - no one
            > having any "finds"?
            >
            > In Kinship,
            > Judith Rempel, Webster
            > judith@...
            > and
            > webster@...

          • owner dist gen
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 20 2:01 PM
              Dear Fred and others,

              Go to the web page, on the right hand side see Dist gen link, which
              takes you here: http://www.afhs.ab.ca/dist-gen.html and you will see
              the instructions. Should you have any problems, please email me (not
              the whole list).