1906 Census Transcription

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2003
      You may have been wondering if this project is still alive. Indeed it is.
      I was away for 2 1/2 weeks in June - so that put a crimp in things, but I'm
      mostly caught up with the preparation of the 1906 spreadsheets into pdf
      files that have gone online.

      for an inventory of the subdistrict pdf files that have gone online in May
      and June.

      We now have over 160,000 lines of data online - about 19% of the 800,000
      records that can be transcribed.

      In Alberta, over 40% of the records are transcribed/online.

      In District #18 (Southern Alberta) and district #19 (Calgary) - each has
      only 1 subdistrict which is neither online, nor being worked on. And
      District #22 (Northern Alberta) is complete. Amazing. It's Distict #21
      (Strathcona) that needs subtantial work now.

      Not a lot of attention yet. Only southwestern Manitoba and Winnipeg are
      being actively transcribed. We could use more volunteer transcribers here.
      Know anyone with Manitoba interests who would be willing to give a hand?

      Lots of work on District #12 (Assiniboia West) and good inroads on District
      #16 (Q'Appelle), but again - we need more volunteers interested in other
      parts of the province.

      Searching Capability
      Be sure to take advantage of our advanced searching tool
      <http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/advanced_search.html> if your family
      is hard to find. I must say it's got a lot of bells 'n whistles, so hope
      folks are taking advantage of it. :-) Right now, it searches about 4 MB of
      1906 Census data - so put it to work!

      In particular, I should recognize the continuing contributions in May & June

      Folks from Alberta:
      Elizabeth Rodier (AFHS), Lois Sparling (AFHS), Charlie Hansen (AFHS), Mertie
      Beatty (AFHS), Joan Hudson (AFHS), Carol Hauswirth (AFHS), Lillian Parent
      (Calgary), Ted How (Emonton - Edmonton Daily Journal Extracts, 1907), Adele
      Goa (Edmonton, Alberta GenSoc), Val Williams (Calgary, Mennonite Historical
      Soc), Lottie Bardoel (Alberta GenWeb -Vermillion County)

      Folks from BC
      John Tracy (Victoria), John Sled (Vancouver), Karen Foster (Port Coquitlam)

      Folks from Saskatchewan
      Gwen Thomson (Saskatoon, SGS); Bob & Joanne Jensen (SGS), Beverly Muntain
      (Regina, Bukovina Soc of the Americas), Donna Jones (Saskatoon), & Janice
      Sutherland (Saskatoon)

      Folks from other Parts of Canada:
      Chris McVety (Montreal, QC)

      In Kinship,