Bill S-13 Debate Postponed

  • Rene Dussome
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2003
      Hello Everyone:

      The undernoted e-mail has just come through from Senator Lorna Milne via
      her policy adviser Jeff Paul.

      Rene Dussome

      Dear friends:

      I found out this morning that the House of Commons will not deal
      with S-13 before they rise for the summer break. As you all know, they
      made several attempts to get it debated over the last few days, but were
      unsuccessful. The rest of the agenda is now booked with other bills
      including campaign finance reform and the ethics package that must get
      through before the end of the summer. I am extremely disappointed with
      this delay in our on-going campaign.

      I urge all members of the CCC to start a new email and letter
      campaign to their MPs at the beginning of September. There is not much
      point in writing right now because your letters will be long forgotten
      by the time the fall rolls around. You should write in the week or two
      leading up to the resumption of Parliament on September 15th. We have
      been working hard for almost one solid year now, and we can all use the
      summer to rest and recharge our batteries.

      I also want to congratulate Lois Sparling on her renewed attempt
      to get the courts to rule that Stats Canada must release the 1911
      census. She has my 100% support in her endeavour. I have also been
      really pleased to see how many of you have filed ATI requests asking for
      the 1911 census. Do keep them coming.

      I'm sorry that I don't have better news for you, but I promise
      that as things develop, I will keep you posted.

      Yours truly,

      Hon. Lorna Milne

      Jeff Paul
      Policy Advisor