1911 Canadian Census

  • Rene Dussome
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2003
      Hi Everyone:

      The following e-mail has just been received from Gordon A. Watts,
      Co-Chairman of the Canadian Census Campaign.

      He explains the current status of Bill S-13 much better than I can so I
      copy his message in full.

      At the moment, the best way we can support the efforts of the Canadian
      Census Campaign is to submit an ATI (Access to Informaton form). The
      form must be accompanied by a remittance of $5 made payable to the
      Receiver General of Canada. It is unlikely this amount will be refunded.

      I submitted my ATI earlier this week. Have you considered doing the
      same?

      Even though I have subscribed to the Canadian Census Campaign mailing
      list for many moons I was still a bit confused about all the issues
      relating to the release of the 1911 census. In addition, I was unsure
      about the wording of my ATI form. In the end, I copied the wording on
      the ATI form that I sent in regarding the release of the 1906 census,
      with appropriate amendments. A copy of this form, sent to Gordon Watts
      via e-mail elicited the response, "Thanks Rene" so I presume my wording
      was acceptable.

      If anyone out there is unsure how to complete their ATI form please
      e-mail me privately at rdussome@...

      Thanks to everyone who is willing to participate in this action.

      Rene Dussome

      * * *

      Re: Debate of Bill S-13

      Greetings All.

      Even though Bill S-13 - an Act to amend the Statistics Act - was on the
      schedule for second debate in the House of Commons three days of this
      past week, it did not happen. The projected schedule for the coming
      week does not show Bill S-13 as being included.

      I stand to be corrected, but it begins to look as if no further action
      on Bill S-13 will happen before Parliament recesses for the summer. If
      so, this gives us more time to convince our Parliamentarians of the need
      for amendments to remove the conditions and restrictions imposed by the
      Bill.

      1 June 2003, last week, marked the 92 year anniversary of the taking of
      the 1911 Census. We suggest that all who are interested in regaining
      access to Census records submit an Access to Information request for
      access to the 1911 Census records. While we expect all such requests to
      be refused, submitting them is another way of applying pressure on the
      government. Information on how to submit ATI requests has been posted
      on the Post 1901 Census Project website at the URL following my
      signature.

      Happy Hunting.

      Gordon A. Watts gordon_watts@...
      Co-Chair, Canada Census Committee
      Port Coquitlam, BC

      http://globalgenealogy.com/Census

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Spencer Field
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 16, 2006
        For those of us still in the dark ages — — —  the 1911 Canadian census on microfilm is "in the building"  at the Calgary Public Library main downtown branch. It is in the back somewhere being catalogued, boxes numbered etc. and should be on the floor by the end of the month.

        Spencer Field