1911 census

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2003
      The 1911 census was done 92 years ago today. It is, therefore, due to
      be released tomorrow. Notwithstanding our victory in Beatty et al v The
      Chief Statistician et al resulting in the release online of the 1906
      census without conditions, I am advised that the 1911 census will not be
      released by the federal government voluntarily until Bill S-13 is
      passed. Pshaw, I say! I will bring some Request for Access to
      Information forms with me to the AFHS meeting Monday evening for those
      who are interested in spending $5 to impress upon the federal
      government that we are not to be trifled with. These forms are also
      available on the internet. See Gordon Watts' census release site for
      detailed directions:

      > http://globalgenealogy.com/Census/1911ati.htm

      Lois Sparling

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Lois Sparling
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 12, 2003
        Those who applied under the Access to Information Act to see the 1911
        census have been receiving their expected rejection letters from our
        dear friend at Statistics Canada, Pamela White. The next step is to
        send a letter of complaint to the Information Commissioner asking him to
        look into the reason for this rejection and to help you get access to
        the 1911 census. His address is:

        Mr. John Reid
        Information Commissioner
        Tower B, Place de Ville
        112 Kent Street, Ottawa
        Ontario, K1A 1H3

        Lois Sparling

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Mertie Beatty
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 15, 2003
          Dear Lois:
          On June 2nd I sent my cheque for $5.00 to the Receiver General of Canada
          along with my request for access to the 1911 Census
          Record.
          I have a reply dated June 27th from Pamela White refusing me access.
          What is the address of the National Archivist?
          Do I need to send another $5.00?

          Today I also wrote a letter to John Reid questioning my refusal. I have
          not taken this letter to the mail yet. Should I send it?
          Why the run-around?

          Mertie Beatty

          > Upon taking a closer look at the Federal Government lawyers' written
          > argument, I note that one of their arguments is that our Applicant
          > (Mertie Beatty) has not requested access to the 1911 census from the
          > National Archivist. I guess we all know what to do about that!
          >
          > Lois Sparling

        • Lois Sparling

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 16, 2003
              Lois:

              > Upon taking a closer look at the Federal Government lawyers' written
              > argument, I note that one of their arguments is that our Applicant
              > (Mertie Beatty) has not requested access to the 1911 census from the
              > National Archivist. I guess we all know what to do about that!

              Are we supposed to write to:

              Chief Statistician (initial request) enclosing $5
              National Archivist (further request) another $5?
              Information Commissioner (complaint) no money

              Is my application incomplete because I followed steps 1 and 3 but did
              not write to the National Archivist?

              Rene

              http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            • Rene Dussome
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 16, 2003
                Dear Lois:

                I will send an ATI request to the National Archivist tomorrow, together
                with a further $5. Incidentally, my original cheque for $5 to the Chief
                Statistician has not yet been cashed.

                Rene

                > Your application was not incomplete. There is a new argument I am
                > facing in court that tries to make something out of Mertie Beatty not
                > also requesting access to the 1911 census from the National Archivist.
                > might like to demonstrate their commitment to our cause by sending
                > another ATI request, this time to the National Archivist. We know
                > what his response will be but we knew what the Chief Statistician's
                > response would be, too. It will cost another $5 and postage.
                >
                > Lois Sparling
                >
                > Rene Dussome wrote:
                >
                > > Lois:
                > >

                > >> Upon taking a closer look at the Federal Government lawyers'
                > >> written
                > >> argument, I note that one of their arguments is that our Applicant
                > >> (Mertie Beatty) has not requested access to the 1911 census from
                > >> the
                > >> National Archivist. I guess we all know what to do about that!
                > >>

                > > Are we supposed to write to:
                > >
                > > Chief Statistician (initial request) enclosing $5
                > > National Archivist (further request) another $5?
                > > Information Commissioner (complaint) no money
                > >
                > > Is my application incomplete because I followed steps 1 and 3 but
                > > did
                > > not write to the National Archivist?
                > >
                > > Rene
                > >
                > > http://www.afhs.ab.ca

                http://www.afhs.ab.ca
              • Lois Sparling

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 17, 2003
                    The access to information co-ordinator for the National Archives is
                    Julie Attallah. Her mailing address is: The National Archives of
                    Canada, 395 Wellington St., room 350, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N3. You can
                    drop off your ATI form and $5 cheque at my office or home to go with
                    mine and others by courier since there is the possibility of a postal
                    strike. There is a link to the ATI form on our AFHS site. My office is
                    at #1400, 550- 6 Ave. SW. My home is at 38 Hallbrook Dr. SW (grey house
                    on the outside corner with bushy Russian Olive tree in the front).

                    Lois Sparling

                    http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                  • Ronna L. Byam
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 16, 2004
                      I found this on the Ontario Genealogy society website.
                      Ronna Byam
                      Chair, Ontario SIG
                    • Lois Sparling
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 16, 2004
                        This is the improved compromise solution now before the Senate as Bill S-18.

                        Lois Sparling

                        Ronna L. Byam wrote:
                        I found this on the Ontario Genealogy society website.
                        Ronna Byam
                        Chair, Ontario SIG
                      • Carol Lylyk
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 14, 2006
                          This was posted on the Lincolnshire list.

                          Carol Lylyk