Computer SIG chairman

  • Alan Cassley
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 23, 2002
      Hi List

      Elizabeth Rodier suggested that, as the new chairman of the Computer SIG, I
      should introduce myself to the list.

      Oh dear!

      Who am I?

      I tried the "cogito, ergo sum" approach but didn't get anywhere, so here is
      some background.

      My two careers were in pipeline engineering, and instructing mathematics and
      physics at SAIT and in the UK. Like many people, my early contact with
      computers was to use Fortran and BASIC to solve problems, and I actually
      taught a class in.BASIC in the early seventies. (Some of you will remember
      punched tape and cards.) At early retirement 10 years ago I supplied myself
      with a newfangled desk-top computer, a mouseless 286, and used it to write
      letters, solve math problems, and play games, and I was happy. Then I
      started on my family search and just had to have a bigger computer to
      encompass the joys of the internet. That's when I got into problems and was
      glad of the Computer SIG.

      I have been a "member" of the SIG for four years, which is when I started
      my family research, and have learned a lot from the group. In any group that
      I join I like to contribute in some way, and have helped Bill Campbell with
      a couple of his talks on "Genealogy and the Internet", so had to learn
      something about the subject. I am not by any means a computer expert (ask
      Gordon Hulbert), but I think that's an advantage in some ways, being in the
      same boat with most of the membership, and therefore being able to recognize
      needs.

      At the July meeting, after asking a couple of questions about the
      qualifications necessary to be chairman, I raised my hand to scratch my
      head, and was immediately congratulated on becoming the new chairman!

      My family history involves Cornish tin-miners from the 1600's to the
      mid-19th century, when my ggf, and a brother and sister of his, migrated to
      the Furness area of Lancashire. I am using Brother's Keeper (version 6) at
      the moment, my numbers being relatively few.

      I am looking forward to working with the remarkable group of experts we
      have, who give so generously of their time and talents, and to getting to
      know more of you.

      Sincerely

      Alan Cassley.

    • Douglas Stobbs
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 23, 2002
        Hi Alan:

        > Who am I?
        >
        > I tried the "cogito, ergo sum" approach but didn't get anywhere, so here is
        > some background.

        Very nicely done..... thanks very much.

        Best wishes too, Doug.

        --
        {Douglas Stobbs, 2420 2nd Ave NW, #308, Calgary AB Canada, T2N 0N4

      • Donna Coulter
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 23, 2002
          Hi -- Now that we know who you are ----
          we will ALL HAVE TO come and see if we recognize you.

          Looking forward to another year-- it is a great bunch.

          BTW-- my husband said that blueberries are good for seniors
          moments.

          I rushed right out a bought a bushel. ... ugh

          Donna Coulter

        • Louise Sauve
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 24, 2002
            Alan

            Congratulations! and thanks for scratching your head. It is great to have new
            people involved. I'm not a regular at the Computer Sig, mainly because of time
            constraints, but I do think that it is an important part of our Society and
            needs to be in good hand; so thanks again for being there.

            Louise

            Alan Cassley wrote:

            > Hi List
            >
            > Elizabeth Rodier suggested that, as the new chairman of the Computer SIG, I
            > should introduce myself to the list.
            >
            > Oh dear!
            >
            > Who am I?
            >
            > I tried the "cogito, ergo sum" approach but didn't get anywhere, so here is
            > some background.
            >
            > My two careers were in pipeline engineering, and instructing mathematics and
            > physics at SAIT and in the UK. Like many people, my early contact with
            > computers was to use Fortran and BASIC to solve problems, and I actually
            > taught a class in.BASIC in the early seventies. (Some of you will remember
            > punched tape and cards.) At early retirement 10 years ago I supplied myself
            > with a newfangled desk-top computer, a mouseless 286, and used it to write
            > letters, solve math problems, and play games, and I was happy. Then I
            > started on my family search and just had to have a bigger computer to
            > encompass the joys of the internet. That's when I got into problems and was
            > glad of the Computer SIG.
            >
            > I have been a "member" of the SIG for four years, which is when I started
            > my family research, and have learned a lot from the group. In any group that
            > I join I like to contribute in some way, and have helped Bill Campbell with
            > a couple of his talks on "Genealogy and the Internet", so had to learn
            > something about the subject. I am not by any means a computer expert (ask
            > Gordon Hulbert), but I think that's an advantage in some ways, being in the
            > same boat with most of the membership, and therefore being able to recognize
            > needs.
            >
            > At the July meeting, after asking a couple of questions about the
            > qualifications necessary to be chairman, I raised my hand to scratch my
            > head, and was immediately congratulated on becoming the new chairman!
            >
            > My family history involves Cornish tin-miners from the 1600's to the
            > mid-19th century, when my ggf, and a brother and sister of his, migrated to
            > the Furness area of Lancashire. I am using Brother's Keeper (version 6) at
            > the moment, my numbers being relatively few.
            >
            > I am looking forward to working with the remarkable group of experts we
            > have, who give so generously of their time and talents, and to getting to
            > know more of you.
            >
            > Sincerely
            >
            > Alan Cassley.
            >
            > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            > http://www.family-roots.ca

          • Gord Hulbert
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 24, 2002
              I thought I detected a British accent<g>. Welcome aboard.