Re: Dominion Land Grants

  • Robert Boynton
    Message 1 of 7 , May 25, 2003
      Hello

      The documents held at the National Archives in regards to the Western Land
      Grants are virtually worthless genealogically. They are a one page document
      stating just about exactly what is in the on-line index.

      The truly worthwhile documents are held by the Provincial Archives of each
      western province and you can find some priceless gems in these documents.

      I have personally recovered such personal items such as a divorce record and
      many letter concerning families in need of explaining why or why they would
      not like to continue with the patent procedure and/ or proving the
      homestead.

      At the minimum, the records provide information as to whether the applicant
      is married, his or her age, the number of children and where they were born.
      There are also letter of recommendations and/or the statements from
      neighbours who have witnessed that the patent requirements have been
      fulfilled.

      I am familiar with a researcher in Winnipeg who, if available, is very time
      efficient and is not expensive.

      Bonnie Bridge
      21 Lawndale Ave
      Winnipeg, MB
      R2H 1S7

      (204) 237-3824

      As to the question of transfer documents outside of the realm of proving or
      giving up on a homestead, you will have to contact Land Titles and do a
      historical search from the original grant to the time you specify. Include
      your wish for them to provide the transfer documents between titles as these
      documents can be, sometimes, very worthwhile.

      Good Luck

      Robert Boynton
      Calgary

      Message 2 of 7 , May 25, 2003
        The National Archives claim to have the full grant of several pages but
        claims versus fact is why I asked the question. Thanks for the information.

        Xenia