RE: Dominion Land Grants

    Message 1 of 7 , May 25, 2003
      Thanks Carol,

      I will contact the Manitoba Archives then.

      Xenia

      Message 2 of 7 , May 25, 2003
        Hi Xenia,

        You may also contact the Land Titles Office for Letters Patent.

        JBD
        > I will contact the Manitoba Archives then.
        >
        > Xenia

      • Robert Boynton
        Message 3 of 7 , May 25, 2003
          Hello

          The documents held at the National Archives in regards to the Western Land
          Grants are virtually worthless genealogically. They are a one page document
          stating just about exactly what is in the on-line index.

          The truly worthwhile documents are held by the Provincial Archives of each
          western province and you can find some priceless gems in these documents.

          I have personally recovered such personal items such as a divorce record and
          many letter concerning families in need of explaining why or why they would
          not like to continue with the patent procedure and/ or proving the
          homestead.

          At the minimum, the records provide information as to whether the applicant
          is married, his or her age, the number of children and where they were born.
          There are also letter of recommendations and/or the statements from
          neighbours who have witnessed that the patent requirements have been
          fulfilled.

          I am familiar with a researcher in Winnipeg who, if available, is very time
          efficient and is not expensive.

          Bonnie Bridge
          21 Lawndale Ave
          Winnipeg, MB
          R2H 1S7

          (204) 237-3824

          As to the question of transfer documents outside of the realm of proving or
          giving up on a homestead, you will have to contact Land Titles and do a
          historical search from the original grant to the time you specify. Include
          your wish for them to provide the transfer documents between titles as these
          documents can be, sometimes, very worthwhile.

          Good Luck

          Robert Boynton
          Calgary

          Message 4 of 7 , May 25, 2003
            The National Archives claim to have the full grant of several pages but
            claims versus fact is why I asked the question. Thanks for the information.

            Xenia