Re: Dominion Land Grants

  • Carol Lylyk
    Message 1 of 7 , May 25, 2003
      Hello Xenia
      I forgot to say that I have been told that the National Archives only gives
      you the Letter of Patent.

      Carol Lylyk

      Message 2 of 7 , May 25, 2003
        Thanks Carol,

        I will contact the Manitoba Archives then.

      • John Doyle
        Message 3 of 7 , May 25, 2003
          Hi Xenia,

          You may also contact the Land Titles Office for Letters Patent.

          JBD
          > I will contact the Manitoba Archives then.
          >
          > Xenia

        • Robert Boynton
          Message 4 of 7 , May 25, 2003
            Hello

            The documents held at the National Archives in regards to the Western Land
            Grants are virtually worthless genealogically. They are a one page document
            stating just about exactly what is in the on-line index.

            The truly worthwhile documents are held by the Provincial Archives of each
            western province and you can find some priceless gems in these documents.

            I have personally recovered such personal items such as a divorce record and
            many letter concerning families in need of explaining why or why they would
            not like to continue with the patent procedure and/ or proving the
            homestead.

            At the minimum, the records provide information as to whether the applicant
            is married, his or her age, the number of children and where they were born.
            There are also letter of recommendations and/or the statements from
            neighbours who have witnessed that the patent requirements have been
            fulfilled.

            I am familiar with a researcher in Winnipeg who, if available, is very time
            efficient and is not expensive.

            Bonnie Bridge
            21 Lawndale Ave
            Winnipeg, MB
            R2H 1S7

            (204) 237-3824

            As to the question of transfer documents outside of the realm of proving or
            giving up on a homestead, you will have to contact Land Titles and do a
            historical search from the original grant to the time you specify. Include
            your wish for them to provide the transfer documents between titles as these
            documents can be, sometimes, very worthwhile.

            Good Luck

            Robert Boynton
            Calgary

            Message 5 of 7 , May 25, 2003
              The National Archives claim to have the full grant of several pages but
              claims versus fact is why I asked the question. Thanks for the information.

              Xenia