Dominion Land Grants

    Message 1 of 7 , May 25, 2003
      Has anyone obtained Dominion Land Grant files (for Manitoba) from National
      Archives? I can't seem to see any of the films at the FHC or CPL Castell
      Branch. Thus it seems the only way to obtain them is to buy the film, do an
      ILL or find a person at or near the archives to do the retrieval and
      copying.

      I have 4 to obtain on behalf of clients and they want a speedy answer. In
      one case I need to know not only when the land was taken out but also
      vacated as the wife of one was shown as widowed on the 1901 census and was
      in Ontario by the time of the 1906 (since I cannot find her still in
      Manitoba)where she died in 1927 (we have the death record). We are trying to
      establish the date and cause of death of the husband. All we know right now
      is that he was on the 1881 census and not on the 1901. This is too broad of
      a period to have the Manitoba Archives do a search and his death is not
      given in the online records index. The family legends consist of one that he
      was drowned in a fishing accident with no body recovered and thus no burial
      and the other that he simply vanished with a native woman, changed his name
      and thus no death record under his true name.

      So I am wonderinng if anyone else has had success in obtaining the Manitoba
      land grants with not only the establishment of the grant but also the
      transfer. I have been able to find Saskatchewan ones (from FHL) with no
      problem but to date have not tried Manitoba, which do not appear to be in
      the FHL. Has anyone obtained theirs directly from Manitoba Archives or the
      National Archives - how fast/slow were they and what information was
      included?

      Anything you learned from first-hand experience will be appreciated.

      à bientôt,

      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Carol Lylyk
      Message 2 of 7 , May 25, 2003
        Provincial Archives of Manitoba
        200 Vaughan Street
        Winnipeg, Manitoba RICA 1T5
        Tel: (204) 945-3971
        Fax: (204) 948-2672
        I-mail: pam@...
        Web site: http://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/archives/

        Hello Xenia

        If you want the complete file on a Homestead Grant go through the Provincial
        Archives. There is an e-mail address where you can request this. The file
        should contain any transaction that took place. The ones that I received
        were just straight forward, no transfers, so I can't say if it would contain
        that but you would think it would.

        Carol Lylyk

        Message 3 of 7 , May 25, 2003
          Hello Xenia
          I forgot to say that I have been told that the National Archives only gives
          you the Letter of Patent.

          Carol Lylyk

          Message 4 of 7 , May 25, 2003
            Thanks Carol,

            I will contact the Manitoba Archives then.

          • John Doyle
            Message 5 of 7 , May 25, 2003
              Hi Xenia,

              You may also contact the Land Titles Office for Letters Patent.

              JBD
              > I will contact the Manitoba Archives then.
              >
              > Xenia

            • Robert Boynton
              Message 6 of 7 , May 25, 2003
                Hello

                The documents held at the National Archives in regards to the Western Land
                Grants are virtually worthless genealogically. They are a one page document
                stating just about exactly what is in the on-line index.

                The truly worthwhile documents are held by the Provincial Archives of each
                western province and you can find some priceless gems in these documents.

                I have personally recovered such personal items such as a divorce record and
                many letter concerning families in need of explaining why or why they would
                not like to continue with the patent procedure and/ or proving the
                homestead.

                At the minimum, the records provide information as to whether the applicant
                is married, his or her age, the number of children and where they were born.
                There are also letter of recommendations and/or the statements from
                neighbours who have witnessed that the patent requirements have been
                fulfilled.

                I am familiar with a researcher in Winnipeg who, if available, is very time
                efficient and is not expensive.

                Bonnie Bridge
                21 Lawndale Ave
                Winnipeg, MB
                R2H 1S7

                (204) 237-3824

                As to the question of transfer documents outside of the realm of proving or
                giving up on a homestead, you will have to contact Land Titles and do a
                historical search from the original grant to the time you specify. Include
                your wish for them to provide the transfer documents between titles as these
                documents can be, sometimes, very worthwhile.

                Good Luck

                Robert Boynton
                Calgary

                Message 7 of 7 , May 25, 2003
                  The National Archives claim to have the full grant of several pages but
                  claims versus fact is why I asked the question. Thanks for the information.

                  Xenia