Re: Ships Passenger Lists at Lethbridge Public Library

  • william campbell
    Message 1 of 6 , May 22, 2003
      Hi Rob:

      Thank you for that helpful information on passenger lists and Border Entry Crossing Records in LPL.

      Do you happen to know the locations of those border points that are in the records?  I assume they are physically located on the border and not Ports of Entry like we now have at airports all over the country.

      Cheers

      Bill

      Robert Boynton wrote:

      Hello Here is a list of the Passenger list film holdings that the Lethbridge Public Library acquired last year. It is not listed on their website. I have not compared this list to the holdings at the Main Castell Library in Calgary. I do hope someone finds this list useful. Regards Rob Boynton
      Subject: Ships Passenger Lists at Lethbridge Public Library

      The following is the description of the Ships Passenger Lists and Border Entry Crossing Records that the Lethbridge Public Library has in it’s microfilm collection.

      Passenger Lists by Ports

      Quebec ports

      1.)Quebec 1865 – 1921

      2.)Quebec/Montreal 1919 – 1924

      Maritime ports

      1.)Halifax 1881 – 1922

      2.)Halifax 1919 – 1924

      3.)Saint John 1919 – 1924

      4.)North Sydney 1906 – 1922

      5.)North Sydney 1919 – 1924

      British Columbia and United States of America ports

      1.)Vancouver 1905 – 1922

      2.)Vancouver 1919 – 1924

      3.)Victoria and Pacific ports 1905 – 1922

      4.)Victoria and Pacific ports 1919 – 1924

      5.)New York 1906 – 1921

      6.)New York 1919 – 1924

      7.)Eastern U.S. ports 1905 – 1921

      8.)Eastern U.S. ports 1919 – 1924

      Border Entry Records

      The Border entry records from 1908 to 1918 are arranged by border port and date of entry.Films for Yukon, B.C. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, New York, Vermont, Maine and Massachusetts are in the collection.In order to undertake a meaningful search in these unindexed lists, it is necessary to know the port and month of arrival, otherwise you must search the lists for the appropriate region, port by port and month by month.

      The Border entries from1919 to 1924were microfilmed in quasi-alphabetical order.For each letter of the alphabet, surnames are arranged in groupings based on the initial letters of each name.

      Microfilm readers/printers are available in the library.Prints cost 40 cents each.

      --
      William A. Campbell
      Calgary, Alberta, Canada

    • Robert Boynton
      Message 2 of 6 , May 22, 2003
        Bill

        The same border entry lists are available at the Castell Library and they are all across the Nation.  I do not know them by memory.

        I have rarely used them myself.  At one point in time there was a lady in western Canada who had indexed portions of these records.

        RB

        Message 3 of 6 , May 23, 2003
          See details of Claire Neville's talk on this subject:

          In Kinship,
          Judith Rempel, Webster
          rempel@...

          and

          webster@...

          Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
          http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

          1906 Census Transcription Centre
          http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/

          The same border entry lists are available at the Castell Library and they are all across the Nation.  I do not know them by memory.

          I have rarely used them myself.  At one point in time there was a lady in western Canada who had indexed portions of these records.

          RB
          Thank you for that helpful information on passenger lists and Border Entry Crossing Records in LPL.

          Do you happen to know the locations of those border points that are in the records?  I assume they are physically located on the border and not Ports of Entry like we now have at airports all over the country.

          <snip>

        • Rene Dussome
          Message 4 of 6 , May 23, 2003
            Robert:

            > The same border entry lists are available at the Castell Library and they are all across the Nation. I do not know them by memory.

            > I have rarely used them myself. At one point in time there was a lady in western Canada who had indexed portions of these records.

            The lady in question was Mary Trace. Her first book on border entry
            lists was entitled, "Canadian Border Entry Lists - 1908-1918 Yukon/BC."
            A copy of this book was donated to the Family History Centre by the
            Computer Group in 1997.

            Because of the lack of interest in this book, Mary did not continue with
            her Border Entry indexing project.

            Rene Dussome