Beware the support@microsoft.com messages

    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2003
      Just received several of these messages in the past two days including one
      just now on dist-gen. Please beware:

      Why did support @ microsoft send me a virus this morning?
      By John Leyden

      Windows users everywhere are urged to update their anti-virus definitions
      following the discovery of a new worm, which poses as one of a series of odd
      messages from Microsoft.

      Palyh (AKA Mankx), got a strong start of the weekend and is spreading
      rapidly, at least if our own in-boxes are anything to go by.

      The pest is an email and network attack worm that includes a downloaded
      Trojan horse component, according to a preliminary analysis of the virus by
      security outfit iDefense. After a computer is infected with the worm it
      attempts to create copies of itself in remotely shared startup locations on
      a network.

      The virus also attempts to update itself by linking to a Web site. Hopefully
      this avenue of mischief will soon be closed.

      The virus normally arrives via email with one of the following subject
      names: Re: My application, Re: Movie, Cool screensaver, Screensavers, Re: My
      details, Your password, Re: Approved (Red. 3394-65467), Approved (Ref.
      38446-263), Your details.

      Within this emails is an infectious attachment of filetype .pif, .pi or
      .uue. Again selection of these filetypes is random. Double click of the
      attachment and you get infected, natch. Palyh scans files (with .dbx, .eml,
      .htm, .html, .txt, and .wab) for fresh prospects for infection.

      This behaviour means the virus is likely to be prolific. As usual Mac and
      Linux users are immune from infection.

      The virus always appears to come from support@... email
      address is, of course, spoofed (a common enough trick among VXers).

      Standard precautions apply to defending against the bug: update AV signature
      files and (if you're an admin) consider introducing controls to block
      executables at the gateway.

      Xenia