B.M.

  • Gordon Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2003
      The letters "B.M." with a general location and a set of numbers generally means "Bench Mark" - a precisely surveyed elevation and precise geodetic location, often with a general location with respect to a prominent landmark.   The general location statement is given so it can be found by later surveyors who us Bench Marks as starting points for subsidiary surveys later.   Bench Marks are now usually marked by a brass disk set into a concrete base. ("St. Fereol Church, B.M., S. side of S. door with elevation 982.8, Montmorency County in Quebec" means there is a Bench Mark on or very close to the south side of the south door of the church. The elevation of the Bench Mark is 982.8 feet above the survey datum, usually taken as Mean Sea Level)

      Cheers,
      Gordon Williams.

      From: "Larry McCool" Subject: Re: High River school for boys?