Queen's Park Cemetery Recording and Photographing

  • Lynda Alderman
    Message 1 of 12 , May 18, 2003
      The following dates have been set up for recording and photographing markers at Queen's Park Cemetery.

      Tuesday, May 27
      Monday, June 2
      Wednesday, June 11
      Wednesday, June 18
      Saturday, June 28
      Thursday, July 3
      Wednesday, July 9
      Wednesday, July 16
      Monday, August 11
      Wednesday, August 20
      Saturday, August 30
      Monday, September 8
      Wednesday, September l7
      Wednesday, September 24
      Thursday, October 2
      Wednesday, October 8
      Thursday, October 16

       We'll meet each day at l0 am.  Arrive at the main entrance on 3l Avenue and 4th Street NW.  Turn left at the first Y intersection, and left at the second Y intersection.  This will bring you to a service area parking lot (a large dumpster and small wooden shed are also in this parking area).  If we're working on a section far away from this parking lot we'll drive you there.

      Remember to bring a clipboard, pens/pencils, stool if desired, hat, mosquito lotion, sun tan lotion, lots to drink, lunch if you're staying for the day, lawn chair for lunch, sunglasses, whisk or some type of brush for clearing off flat markers, sturdy footwear and your digital camera if you're a photographer.

      An email message will be sent out before 8 am on the day of the session if it is being cancelled due to inclement weather.

      For more information:   reply to this message or phone me at 949-4093.

      Lynda Alderman
      for the Projects Committee
    • Lynda Alderman
      Message 2 of 12 , May 24, 2003

        First a question:

        We found the following word on a marker at Queen's Park and are wondering if it is Welsh: Goleuddydd.  It preceeded a name, Janie.  The surname on the marker was Evans.

        The next recording and photographing session has been schedule for Tuesday, May 27, 2003.

        We'll meet at l0 am at Queens Park.  Arrive by the main entrance at 31Avenue and 4 St. N.W.  Turn left at the first Y intersection, and left at the next Y intersection.  This will eventually take you to a service area parking lot where we are encouraged to park.  Also in this parking lot you'll see a large dumpster and small wooden building.

        Bring along a clipboard, pens/pencils, hat, mosquito lotion, sun tan lotion, stool if preferred, sunglasses, lots to drink, lunch if staying for the day, lawn chair (needed at lunch time), whisk or other brush for cleaning off flat markers and your digital camera if you're a photographer.

        We will begin our work in Section D which is to the left inside the main gate.

        Please reply if you know you will be joining us. If you're not sure, just come along on Tuesday and you'll be most welcome.

        I'll post a message before 8 am on Tuesday if the session is going to be cancelled due to inclement weather.

        Questions?  Reply to this message or phone me at 949-4093.

        Lynda
        Message 3 of 12 , May 24, 2003
          Goleuddydd means bright day in Welsh. It is also a Welsh goddess - see below from http://www.tartanplace.com/faery/goddess/goleuddydd.html

          Goleuddydd (Bright Day)
          (pron. GO-loo-theeth) Welsh sow goddess of fertility. She is the sister of Igraine Nessa Mother of the god Culhwch (pig). On her death she made Cilydd promise not to remarry until a briar bush with at least two heads sprang from her grave. This happens after seventeen years. In Celtic mysticism the number seventeen relates to the splitting of clans.

          Xenia

          Message 4 of 12 , May 24, 2003
            I and my sister are planning on being there on May 27
            Ronna Byam

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 9, 2003

                The next recording and photographing session has been scheduled for Wednesday, June 11th.

                We'll meet at l0 am at Queens Park.  Arrive by the main entrance at 31Avenue and 4 St. N.W.  Turn left at the first Y intersection, and left at the next Y intersection.  This will eventually take you to a service area parking lot where we are encouraged to park.  Also in this parking lot you'll see a large dumpster and small wooden building.

                Bring along a clipboard, pens/pencils, hat, mosquito lotion, sun tan lotion, stool if preferred, sunglasses, lots to drink, lunch if staying for the day, lawn chair (needed at lunch time), whisk or other brush for cleaning off flat markers and your digital camera if you're a photographer.   Also bring rubber or gardening gloves as many of the markers are flat and need "digging out".

                We will begin our work in Section G which is near the parking lot.

                Please reply if you know you will be joining us. If you're not sure, just come along and you'll be most welcome.

                I'll post a message before 8 am on Wednesday if the session is going to be cancelled due to inclement weather.

                Questions?  Reply to this message or phone me at 949-4093.

                Lynda
              • Heather Jaremko
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 10, 2003
                  Hello Lynda,
                  I will be there at 10 a.m.
                  Heather Jaremko

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 16, 2003
                      I'll be there again!
                      Ronna Byam
[...]

                    • Bob and Colleen Hauswirth
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 17, 2003
                        I will be attending the session on June 18th.

                        Colleen Hauswirth

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 17, 2003
                          Hi Colleen

                          Brings lots of water, I think we're in for a hot day.

                          Lynda