R not N on 1901 Census

    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2003
      On one of my messages I said that the provinces of Canada were followed by
      an N. It turns out what looks like an N is actually R for rural versus U for
      urban. It is just that the lower case r has the peak at the top and a long
      upward curve so it looked very confusing. Looking at the top of the column
      11, it instructs the census taker if the country of birth is Canada to write
      the province or territory and then an r or u for rural or urban as the case
      may be. That page looks like it is all r down the column but then it is hard
      to distinguish at times.

      So if I am reading it correctly, our mystery lady was born in rural Quebec.
      So if it was correctly reported the St-Francois Bacedu, Felure, P.L. should
      be in rural Quebec. However, I have found many errors on the census records,
      especially with dates and places of birth.

      à bientôt,

      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564