River lots & school grades

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2003
      Edmonton has river lots as well as Townships and Ranges. Found the old map
      in a public libary book after attempting to compare census locations with a
      modern map. Edmonton street names changed to numbers in 1914.

      Also found a 1904 map of Winnipeg. Known residents of both cities found in
      1901 census are still "missing" in the 1906 census. I'm transcribing High
      River-Okotoks rural sub-district at present but have some helpful
      information gathered for Edmonton and Winnipeg areas of the 1906 census.

      Another interesting library book was written by one of the students of the
      normal school in Calgary 1906 fall term of four months. Surprised she
      mentioned a pupil taking Standard V examinations in 1910 because relatives
      had talked about being put back one or two "grades" when they moved to
      Calgary in 1909. In 1910 the teacher and her sister moved to southern
      Alberta town to teach Grades Two & Three.

      Standards I to V represented Grades I to IX. Calgary students around 1890
      were listed in the newspaper when they had examinations and always wondered
      about the standards.

      Standards VI, VII and VIII were high school. The author took Standard VII in
      Strathcona and then the normal school class in Calgary. Started teaching
      January 1907 "at the ripe age of seventeen years" and later received the
      Professional Certificate signed by AC Rutherford. Hs family was listed as
      away from home at the time of the 1906 census. -- Elizabeth