Re: Anyone heard of St-François-Bacedu, Felure P.L.?

  • Frank Morrow
    Message 1 of 4 , May 17, 2003
      Hi Xenia, under the French legal system a deceased owner's land is divided among heirs. This practise was followed in French speaking pockets, eg St. Albert, St. Boniface, etc. This resulted in narrow strips of land inherited in some areas, so some addresses refer to miniscule parcels, such as in St. Albert, AB. Most of these thin strips of land run down to a creek or river.
      What am I telling you all this for..........you are probably more aware of it than I!
      Cheers.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 17, 2003
        Thanks Frank. I did know this for elsewhere but it had not dawned on me re Manitoba. I forgot I guess because I did learn much of the Manitoba-Red River settlement genealogy and history from Gail Morin! I totally forgot about the riverlots in Manitoba. Thanks to you and Vicki for reminding me.

        Xenia