Skip to search.

RE: Anyone heard of St-François-Bacedu, Felure P.L.?

  • Peter van Schaik
    Message 1 of 5 , May 16, 2003
      At 08:46 AM 5/16/03, you wrote:
      Thanks for the suggestion Vicki. I had thought of that but there is still no St-François-Bacedu and/or Felure in Quebec that I can find in current or old maps.

      Just some ideas.........

      There is a Fellure Cemetery in Ohio. In Gallia County, just north of the Wayne forest reserve.

      What if P.L. stands for Poland, and you translate the names to Polish?

      I had also thought what if it is P.E.I. but that it doesn't look like that
      is what it is.
      Felure means crack or flaw in French and it is possible it should be
      St-François-Baie-du-Felure. There is a St-François-Xavier de Baie-St-Paul
      and a Baie St-François but it doesn't look like that is what it is but if
      all else fails I will start looking for the people there.

      My other choice Baie-du-Febvre but there is no St-François church there. The parish church is St-Antoine-de-Padoue but it doesn't look like that is what is written!
      Merci et à bientôt, Xenia

      Peter......

             35 years experience in
      USA, Canada, Great Britain, Nederland and Belgium research
      Docs4u Genealogical research     docs4u@...
      http://petervanschaik.consulteert.com

    • Ri & Vicki Morgan
      Message 2 of 5 , May 17, 2003
        Hi again,
        Yet another possibility -
        My husband took it on as a challenge, and came up with the following:

        Re: subject given as St. Francois - Bacedu, Felure P.L.

        French "Bacedu" seems to be an odd construction.

        Comparison of above spelling with Government of Canada Gazetteers
        (Ontario& New Brunswick) shows similar site names spelled "St. Francois -
        Baie de ----, (or) Baie du ----." Is it possible the Bacedu annotation
        would (in English) mean "Bay of"?
        No Gazetteer references were noted for "Felure", but French vocabularies
        have noted e.g. Chaleur (in English "warmth" or possibly "promise")
        Rhode Island has several island areas inside Rhode Island Sound, some of
        which names start with the letter 'P'. Is it possible a convoluted 'L'
        could actually be an ' I ', as e.g. in Prudence Island or Patience Island.
        Perhaps an inquiry to State offices would reveal whether "Felure" or similar
        appears on older site details for such places. Of interest, "crack" or
        "flaw" (Fr. felure) would be a dramatic description of a craggy coastline.
        The noted "chaleur" description for "warmth" or "promise" is typical of
        local color historical descriptions, for places memorable.
        Fhode Island map site for Warwick "looks out" toward both Prudence and
        Patience Islands in Naragansett Bay.

        More 'grist for the mill' - hope it might help.

        Vicki Morgan (for Ri)

        Message 3 of 5 , May 17, 2003
          Hi Ri and Vi!

          Fascinating. More possibilities. I see I will have to report back when I do
          find her place of birth. I had thought the L might be an I but still could
          not think of a place with P.I. Maybe the P is an R! Will keep looking and
          let you know.

          Xenia