Re: Anyone heard of St-François-Bacedu, Felure P.L.?

  • Ri & Vicki Morgan
    Message 1 of 5 , May 15 9:59 PM
      Just a guess, but could a written Q be taken for an L?
      Vicki Morgan

      Message 2 of 5 , May 16 7:46 AM
        Thanks for the suggestion Vicki. I had thought of that but there is still no
        St-François-Bacedu and/or Felure in Quebec that I can find in current or old
        maps.

        I had also thought what if it is P.E.I. but that it doesn't look like that
        is what it is.

        Felure means crack or flaw in French and it is possible it should be
        St-François-Baie-du-Felure. There is a St-François-Xavier de Baie-St-Paul
        and a Baie St-François but it doesn't look like that is what it is but if
        all else fails I will start looking for the people there.

        My other choice Baie-du-Febvre but there is no St-François church there. The
        parish church is St-Antoine-de-Padoue but it doesn't look like that is what
        is written!

        Merci et à bientôt,

        Xenia

        Message 3 of 5 , May 16 8:33 AM
          At 08:46 AM 5/16/03, you wrote:
          Thanks for the suggestion Vicki. I had thought of that but there is still no St-François-Bacedu and/or Felure in Quebec that I can find in current or old maps.

          Just some ideas.........

          There is a Fellure Cemetery in Ohio. In Gallia County, just north of the Wayne forest reserve.

          What if P.L. stands for Poland, and you translate the names to Polish?

          I had also thought what if it is P.E.I. but that it doesn't look like that
          is what it is.
          Felure means crack or flaw in French and it is possible it should be
          St-François-Baie-du-Felure. There is a St-François-Xavier de Baie-St-Paul
          and a Baie St-François but it doesn't look like that is what it is but if
          all else fails I will start looking for the people there.

          My other choice Baie-du-Febvre but there is no St-François church there. The parish church is St-Antoine-de-Padoue but it doesn't look like that is what is written!
          Merci et à bientôt, Xenia

          Peter......

                 35 years experience in
          USA, Canada, Great Britain, Nederland and Belgium research
          Docs4u Genealogical research     docs4u@...
          http://petervanschaik.consulteert.com

        • Ri & Vicki Morgan
          Message 4 of 5 , May 17 6:12 PM
            Hi again,
            Yet another possibility -
            My husband took it on as a challenge, and came up with the following:

            Re: subject given as St. Francois - Bacedu, Felure P.L.

            French "Bacedu" seems to be an odd construction.

            Comparison of above spelling with Government of Canada Gazetteers
            (Ontario& New Brunswick) shows similar site names spelled "St. Francois -
            Baie de ----, (or) Baie du ----." Is it possible the Bacedu annotation
            would (in English) mean "Bay of"?
            No Gazetteer references were noted for "Felure", but French vocabularies
            have noted e.g. Chaleur (in English "warmth" or possibly "promise")
            Rhode Island has several island areas inside Rhode Island Sound, some of
            which names start with the letter 'P'. Is it possible a convoluted 'L'
            could actually be an ' I ', as e.g. in Prudence Island or Patience Island.
            Perhaps an inquiry to State offices would reveal whether "Felure" or similar
            appears on older site details for such places. Of interest, "crack" or
            "flaw" (Fr. felure) would be a dramatic description of a craggy coastline.
            The noted "chaleur" description for "warmth" or "promise" is typical of
            local color historical descriptions, for places memorable.
            Fhode Island map site for Warwick "looks out" toward both Prudence and
            Patience Islands in Naragansett Bay.

            More 'grist for the mill' - hope it might help.

            Vicki Morgan (for Ri)

            Message 5 of 5 , May 17 11:15 PM
              Hi Ri and Vi!

              Fascinating. More possibilities. I see I will have to report back when I do
              find her place of birth. I had thought the L might be an I but still could
              not think of a place with P.I. Maybe the P is an R! Will keep looking and
              let you know.

              Xenia