Queen's Park Cemetery Recording and Photographing

  • Lynda Alderman
    Message 1 of 12 , May 14, 2003

      The Projects Committee has started it's lastest undertaking and 18 volunteers spent the day at Queen's Park last Monday recording and photographing the first of approximately 47,000 markers.  It was a lovely sunny day, for the most part.

      The next session has been scheduled for this coming Monday, May 19.  Yes, I know this is Monday of the Long Weekend and traditionally in Calgary that means 3 feet of snow or torential rain.  Hoping this year will be different!

      We'll mee at l0 am at Queens Park.  Arrive by the main entrance at 31Avenue and 4 St. N.W.  Turn left at the first Y intersection, and left at the next Y intersection.  This will eventually take you to a service area parking lot where we are encouraged to park.  Also in this parking lot you'll see a large dumpster and small wooden building.

      Bring along a clipboard, pens/pencils, hat, mosquito lotion, sun tan lotion (think positive), stool if preferred, sunglasses, lots to drink, lunch if staying for the day, lawn chair (needed at lunch time), whisk or other brush for cleaning off flat markers and your digital camera if you're a photographer.

      We will begin or work in Section B which is near this parking lot.

      Please reply if you know you will be joining us. If you're not sure, just come along on Monday and you'll be most welcome.

      I'll post a message before 8 am on Monday if the session is going to be cancelled due to inclement weather.

      Questions?  Reply to this message or phone me at 949-4093.

      Lynda
    • Lynda Alderman
      Message 2 of 12 , May 18, 2003
        The following dates have been set up for recording and photographing markers at Queen's Park Cemetery.

        Tuesday, May 27
        Monday, June 2
        Wednesday, June 11
        Wednesday, June 18
        Saturday, June 28
        Thursday, July 3
        Wednesday, July 9
        Wednesday, July 16
        Monday, August 11
        Wednesday, August 20
        Saturday, August 30
        Monday, September 8
        Wednesday, September l7
        Wednesday, September 24
        Thursday, October 2
        Wednesday, October 8
        Thursday, October 16

         We'll meet each day at l0 am.  Arrive at the main entrance on 3l Avenue and 4th Street NW.  Turn left at the first Y intersection, and left at the second Y intersection.  This will bring you to a service area parking lot (a large dumpster and small wooden shed are also in this parking area).  If we're working on a section far away from this parking lot we'll drive you there.

        Remember to bring a clipboard, pens/pencils, stool if desired, hat, mosquito lotion, sun tan lotion, lots to drink, lunch if you're staying for the day, lawn chair for lunch, sunglasses, whisk or some type of brush for clearing off flat markers, sturdy footwear and your digital camera if you're a photographer.

        An email message will be sent out before 8 am on the day of the session if it is being cancelled due to inclement weather.

        For more information:   reply to this message or phone me at 949-4093.

        Lynda Alderman
        for the Projects Committee
      • Lynda Alderman
        Message 3 of 12 , May 24, 2003

          First a question:

          We found the following word on a marker at Queen's Park and are wondering if it is Welsh: Goleuddydd.  It preceeded a name, Janie.  The surname on the marker was Evans.

          The next recording and photographing session has been schedule for Tuesday, May 27, 2003.

          We'll meet at l0 am at Queens Park.  Arrive by the main entrance at 31Avenue and 4 St. N.W.  Turn left at the first Y intersection, and left at the next Y intersection.  This will eventually take you to a service area parking lot where we are encouraged to park.  Also in this parking lot you'll see a large dumpster and small wooden building.

          Bring along a clipboard, pens/pencils, hat, mosquito lotion, sun tan lotion, stool if preferred, sunglasses, lots to drink, lunch if staying for the day, lawn chair (needed at lunch time), whisk or other brush for cleaning off flat markers and your digital camera if you're a photographer.

          We will begin our work in Section D which is to the left inside the main gate.

          Please reply if you know you will be joining us. If you're not sure, just come along on Tuesday and you'll be most welcome.

          I'll post a message before 8 am on Tuesday if the session is going to be cancelled due to inclement weather.

          Message 4 of 12 , May 24, 2003
            Goleuddydd means bright day in Welsh. It is also a Welsh goddess - see below from http://www.tartanplace.com/faery/goddess/goleuddydd.html

            Goleuddydd (Bright Day)
            (pron. GO-loo-theeth) Welsh sow goddess of fertility. She is the sister of Igraine Nessa Mother of the god Culhwch (pig). On her death she made Cilydd promise not to remarry until a briar bush with at least two heads sprang from her grave. This happens after seventeen years. In Celtic mysticism the number seventeen relates to the splitting of clans.

            Xenia

            Message 5 of 12 , May 24, 2003
              I and my sister are planning on being there on May 27
              Ronna Byam

              Message 6 of 12 , May 26, 2003
                Hope to see you there Tuesday.
                Lorna

                Lynda Alderman wrote:

                First a question:

                We found the following word on a marker at Queen's Park and are wondering if it is Welsh: Goleuddydd.  It preceeded a name, Janie.  The surname on the marker was Evans.

                The next recording and photographing session has been schedule for Tuesday, May 27, 2003. We'll meet at l0 am at Queens Park.  Arrive by the main entrance at 31Avenue and 4 St. N.W.  Turn left at the first Y intersection, and left at the next Y intersection.  This will eventually take you to a service area parking lot where we are encouraged to park.  Also in this parking lot you'll see a large dumpster and small wooden building. Bring along a clipboard, pens/pencils, hat, mosquito lotion, sun tan lotion, stool if preferred, sunglasses, lots to drink, lunch if staying for the day, lawn chair (needed at lunch time), whisk or other brush for cleaning off flat markers and your digital camera if you're a photographer. We will begin our work in Section D which is to the left inside the main gate. Please reply if you know you will be joining us. If you're not sure, just come along on Tuesday and you'll be most welcome. I'll post a message before 8 am on Tuesday if the session is going to be cancelled due to inclement weather. Questions?  Reply to this message or phone me at 949-4093. Lynda
              • Lynda Alderman
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 9, 2003

                  The next recording and photographing session has been scheduled for Wednesday, June 11th.

                  We'll meet at l0 am at Queens Park.  Arrive by the main entrance at 31Avenue and 4 St. N.W.  Turn left at the first Y intersection, and left at the next Y intersection.  This will eventually take you to a service area parking lot where we are encouraged to park.  Also in this parking lot you'll see a large dumpster and small wooden building.

                  Bring along a clipboard, pens/pencils, hat, mosquito lotion, sun tan lotion, stool if preferred, sunglasses, lots to drink, lunch if staying for the day, lawn chair (needed at lunch time), whisk or other brush for cleaning off flat markers and your digital camera if you're a photographer.   Also bring rubber or gardening gloves as many of the markers are flat and need "digging out".

                  We will begin our work in Section G which is near the parking lot.

                  Please reply if you know you will be joining us. If you're not sure, just come along and you'll be most welcome.

                  I'll post a message before 8 am on Wednesday if the session is going to be cancelled due to inclement weather.

                  Questions?  Reply to this message or phone me at 949-4093.

                  Lynda
                • Heather Jaremko
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 10, 2003
                    Hello Lynda,
                    I will be there at 10 a.m.
                    Heather Jaremko

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 16, 2003
                        I'll be there again!
                        Ronna Byam
[...]

                      • Bob and Colleen Hauswirth
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 17, 2003
                          I will be attending the session on June 18th.

                          Colleen Hauswirth

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 17, 2003
                            Hi Colleen

                            Brings lots of water, I think we're in for a hot day.

                            Lynda