U of Calgary Research Agenda

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2003
      This is not about Genealogy. It's about being a "senior". My apologies for
      intruding on the list - I hope I have enough 'credits' with the listers to
      allow me this infraction.

      Non-seniors on the list - delete now!

      This is an opporunity to brag about what our "senior" members do well -
      living life "resiliently".

      As many of you know, I'm a City Hall staffer. The Dept that I'm in,
      includes folks who are involved with distributing FCSS funds to various
      agencies around town, including the Kerby Centre.

      Today, I learned from an FCSS colleague that the Kerby Centre is mounting a
      day-long workshop to consult with and discuss with Calgary seniors about
      what makes them "resilient". The intent is to inform/build a future
      research research agenda by academics such as are found at U of Calgary.

      I told my colleague that I knew lots of seniors who were doing very well and
      might not want to be considered as "resilient for their age". I also said
      that I consider my older AFHS friends to be "resilient" no matter what age
      was considered, I was encouraged to have you consider participating in this
      day.

      There's free coffee, food & parking - I'll be at least one friendly face
      that you'd know. :-) Following is the Kerby Centre invitation.

      The Future is Now: Be a Part of It
      ----------------------------------

      Kerby Centre of Excellence is inviting seniors to participate in a workshop
      on May 27, 2003 at Kerby Centre from 9:30 AM to
      2:30 PM. The workshop will explore resilience among seniors to determine how
      both seniors and senior's communities are able to bounce back, be healthy
      and hardy when encountering setbacks. This interactive workshop provides
      opportunities for seniors to be actively participating in research involving
      aging.

      We want to hear from seniors like you, who have found ways to thrive, meet
      others, stay connected, learn about new ideas and contribute. We want to
      identify what makes some seniors resilient and how that information can be
      used to help other seniors.

      Kerby is interested in having seniors join us for a day to learn about your
      personal experience with resilience. The workshop starts with coffee and a
      chance to meet other seniors. This will be followed by group discussions
      where seniors will be given the opportunity to talk about their own
      experience with coping and thriving.

      The afternoon will feature speakers and a panel discussion.

      The workshop is free to participants and includes lunch. Free parking is
      available in the Kerby Centre parking lot. If you are interested in
      attending, please contact Dorothy Dooley at 265-0661 ext 255 or email at
      excellence@....

      Location: Kerby Centre Gymnasium
      1133 - 7 Ave SW
      265-0661

      P.S. no one has specified what age a senior is, but I'm assuming that I (at
      50) don't yet qualify, but those 60+ would.

      This communication is intended ONLY for the use of the person or entity
      named above and may contain information that is confidential or legally
      privileged. If you are not the intended recipient named above or a
      person responsible for delivering messages or communications to the
      intended recipient, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED that any use, distribution,
      or copying of this communication or any of the information contained in
      it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in
      error, please notify us immediately by telephone and then destroy or
      delete this communication, or return it to us by mail if requested by
      us. Thank you for your attention and cooperation.

      Judith Rempel <judith.rempel@...>
      http://www.calgary.ca/cs/
      Research Social Planner
      City of Calgary Community Strategies (#8116)
      P.O. Box 2100, Sation M
      Calgary, AB T2P 2M5
      V: (403) 268-5115 F: (403) 537-3063

      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel, Webster
      rempel@...
      JR Solutions
      http://www.jrsolutions.net

      and

      webster@...

      Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

      1906 Census Transcription Centre
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/

      mhsa@...
      Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta
      http://www.mennonites.ca/mhsa/

      Mennonite Genealogy Data Index
      http://www.mennonites.ca

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Donna Snyder
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6, 2003
        > P.S. no one has specified what age a senior is, but I'm assuming that I
        (at
        > 50) don't yet qualify, but those 60+ would.

        Welcome to the club! Most Seniors Clubs are for 50+
        - you don't know what your're missing out on ! :)
        Donna Snyder