census release

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2003
      We need informed people to extract promises from at least one MP that he
      or she will object to Bill S-13 being passed by the House of Commons
      without debate. Bill S-13 is the Bill introduced in the Senate to put
      restriction on access the 1911 and later census and to mess up the 2006
      and later census returns as an historical record of the nation.

      Please let me know if you can devote some time and energy to this in the
      next week.

      Joe Clark, Stephen Harper and Jason Kenny are all Calgary MPs but busy
      fellows. Any MP can do this for us.

      Lois Sparling

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Lois Sparling
      Message 2 of 5 , May 19, 2005
        the original sender

        Bill S-18 is on the Order of Business for tomorrow morning for 2nd reading.

        Lois Sparling

      • Lois Sparling
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 16, 2005
          the original sender

          Is this a huge misunderstanding? The talk is that the Conservative
          Party tried to amend Bill S-18 in Committee to limit release of
          information from the historic census to birth date, death date and ate
          of immigration - their interpretation of that dangerous phrase
          "tombstone information". If this is the case we have been duped and
          betrayed by our own Calgary MPs. I, for one, want a clear answer from
          my own MP, Stephen Harper and our alleged champion in the House, Jason
          Kenny. Was this one Conservative MP acting against party policy or not?

          Lois Sparling

        • fredastewart
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 16, 2005
            the original sender

            Hi Lois - yes you are right about being duped Lois. I watched the CPAC
            broadcast when Werner Schmidt stood and spouted off with info from I do not
            know where. He and a chap named Tilson from Ontario both bandied the term
            'tombstone info' about ad nauseum, and it was obvious they had not done
            their homework, or more correctly had not consulted with anyone from the
            genealogy community. They were totally disgusting, all but Ken Epp.
            Freda
            > Please note that your reply will now only go to
            > the original sender
            >

            > Is this a huge misunderstanding? The talk is that the Conservative Party
            > tried to amend Bill S-18 in Committee to limit release of information from
            > the historic census to birth date, death date and ate of immigration -
            > their interpretation of that dangerous phrase "tombstone information". If
            > this is the case we have been duped and betrayed by our own Calgary MPs.
            > I, for one, want a clear answer from my own MP, Stephen Harper and our
            > alleged champion in the House, Jason Kenny. Was this one Conservative MP
            > acting against party policy or not?
            >
            > Lois Sparling
            >
            > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            >
            > http://www.family-roots.ca

          • Lois Sparling
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 12, 2007
              See the article in the online version of the Globe and Mail for Sept.
              12, 2007 "Historically Speaking, the Census Represents Us" by Eric Sager.

              The census debate is heating up again. As you may recall, we pried
              loose the 1906 and 1911 national census of Canada from a VERY reluctant
              Statistics Canada, but at a cost. The legislation which freed up the
              historic census after 92 years, to and including the 2001 census, also
              closed all future census forever unless the person filling in the census
              return for a particular household checked off a box consenting (on
              behalf of the whole household) to that census return being made
              available to researchers in 92 years. Since alot of households did not
              tick off the consent box for the eventual release of their 2006 census
              return, 2006 is essentially lost forever. Needless to say, Statistics
              Canada cannot possibly change its forms for 2011 so that census is
              presumably lost, as well. (Funny that Statistics Canada could add the
              consent provision and box to check off very quickly but cannot remove it
              with out years and years of advance notice; but I digress).
              This whole thing about each household having to consent to the release
              of its census return is to be reviewed after the 2011 census is taken.
              However those of us who believe that the census should be preserved in
              its entirety as an historical document and made available to researchers
              in due course believe that it should be reviewed as soon as possible to
              save the 2011 and 2016 census. We know from experience who we are
              dealing with and the lengths it/they will go to in order to prevail.

              Eric Sager, a professor of history at U Vic, presents the case that the
              census is an unique and invaluable historical document if preserved and
              released in its entirety. His article reflects the belief of the
              history professors on Our Side that the genealogical community is key to
              persuading the government of the righteousness of our cause. The family
              history community believes that the history professors are the key to
              success because they attract greater respect than we do. It doesn't
              matter who is right. What is important is that we keep after the
              government about this.
              Please keep yourselves informed. If you do not know much about the
              census issue, check out past article by Gordon Watts online at the
              Global Genealogy web site or my articles and announcements on the
              Alberta Family Histories Society web site. There is also a Canada
              Census Campaign mailing list through rootsweb which will perk up again
              when our campaign moves into actively lobbying our Members of Parliament
              again.

              Lois Sparling