Re: Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter Plus Edition

  • Bill Mumford
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 28 10:48 AM
      >I didn't realize there was any subscription agreement with this Newsletter.
      I had thought last week when I saw the article of subscribing for the 3
      month period but >when I saw it was set for auto-renewal I decided against
      it. When you subscribe you have to give a credit card number so if you
      don't cancel on time you are >stuck for another 3 months or have to go
      through the hassle of trying to get the money back into your charge account.

      At $10US per year it isn't something I worry about. I used PayPal, which is
      a pretty safe way of handling Internet transactions.

      With regard to photographing tombstones, or any photography work for that
      matter go to www.ngsgenealogy.com and look for the archives of their UpFront
      Newsletter. They ran a series over the past year on photography. It was
      prepared by Denis Ridenour who is arguably the most knowledgeable source of
      information for digital photography and its usage for genealogical purposes.

      Bill

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Carol Lylyk
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 28 11:03 AM
        Thanks, I will check that site out.

        It isn't the amount of the money involved , it is the fact that it is
        automatically charged. I prefer to be in control of who is charging
        something to my account.

        Carol Lylyk
        > >I didn't realize there was any subscription agreement with this
        Newsletter.
        > I had thought last week when I saw the article of subscribing for the 3
        > month period but >when I saw it was set for auto-renewal I decided against
        > it. When you subscribe you have to give a credit card number so if you
        > don't cancel on time you are >stuck for another 3 months or have to go
        > through the hassle of trying to get the money back into your charge
        account.

        > At $10US per year it isn't something I worry about. I used PayPal, which
        is
        > a pretty safe way of handling Internet transactions.

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Bill Boogaart
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 28 11:31 AM
          At 12:03 PM 4/28/2003 Monday -0600, you wrote:
          >Thanks, I will check that site out.
          >
          >It isn't the amount of the money involved , it is the fact that it is
          >automatically charged. I prefer to be in control of who is charging
          >something to my account.

          I'm with you. I've never used Paypal and yet I had a charge on my Visa
          statement from them last month. Needless to say, I've challenged that one.

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • Mary Arthur
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 28 2:00 PM
            I am in control of who is charging to my credit card, but if you are
            not comfortable with Pay Pal, don't use it. You can write a cheque and
            mail it to him. See: http://www.rootsforum.com/plus/paybycheck.htm It
            is worth the $10 US I pay.

            Mary Arthur

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 28 2:02 PM
              I would be very worried about the security of my credit card if any
              charges I didn't make showed up (to any company). Pay Pal is a secured
              site and in my opinion, a good way of paying.
              Bill's situation is a good reminder to always check your statement.

              Mary Arthur

              On Monday, Apr 28, 2003, at 12:31 Canada/Mountain, Bill Boogaart wrote:

              > At 12:03 PM 4/28/2003 Monday -0600, Bill wrote:
              > I'm with you. I've never used Paypal and yet I had a charge on my Visa
              > statement from them last month. Needless to say, I've challenged that
              > one.

            • Carol Lylyk
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 28 2:34 PM
                I am not interested in getting a subscription to the Newsletter as I get the
                Standard Edition all the time and usually just skim through that. It was
                just that one article that I was interested in and have since found a site
                that talks about digital photography of tombstones and a good camera to use.
                http://www.interment.net/column/records/digital/digital.htm

                Carol Lylyk