Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter Plus Edition

  • Carol Lylyk
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 28, 2003
      Hi,
      Is there anyone that subscribes to the Plus Edition of this newsletter?  I am interested in getting a copy of the article from last week (April 21) regarding Cleaning and Photographing Tombstones.

      Carol Lylyk
    • Mary Arthur
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 28, 2003
        I would suggest that you contact him, as anyone sharing a 'plus'
        article would be breaking their subscription agreement and violating
        his copyright.

        Mary Arthur

        On Monday, Apr 28, 2003, at 07:50 Canada/Mountain, Carol Lylyk wrote:

        > Hi,
        > Is there anyone that subscribes to the Plus Edition of this
        > newsletter?  I am interested in getting a copy of the article from
        > last week (April 21) regarding Cleaning and Photographing Tombstones.
        >
        > Carol Lylyk
      • Carol Lylyk
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 28, 2003
          I didn't realize there was any subscription agreement with this Newsletter.  I had thought last week when I saw the article of subscribing for the 3 month period but when I saw it was set for auto-renewal I decided against it.  When you subscribe you have to give a credit card number so if you don't cancel on time you are stuck for another 3 months or have to go through the hassle of trying to get the money back into your charge account.

          Carol Lylyk

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 28, 2003
            >I didn't realize there was any subscription agreement with this Newsletter.
            I had thought last week when I saw the article of subscribing for the 3
            month period but >when I saw it was set for auto-renewal I decided against
            it. When you subscribe you have to give a credit card number so if you
            don't cancel on time you are >stuck for another 3 months or have to go
            through the hassle of trying to get the money back into your charge account.

            At $10US per year it isn't something I worry about. I used PayPal, which is
            a pretty safe way of handling Internet transactions.

            With regard to photographing tombstones, or any photography work for that
            matter go to www.ngsgenealogy.com and look for the archives of their UpFront
            Newsletter. They ran a series over the past year on photography. It was
            prepared by Denis Ridenour who is arguably the most knowledgeable source of
            information for digital photography and its usage for genealogical purposes.

            Bill

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Carol Lylyk
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 28, 2003
              Thanks, I will check that site out.

              It isn't the amount of the money involved , it is the fact that it is
              automatically charged. I prefer to be in control of who is charging
              something to my account.

              Carol Lylyk
              > >I didn't realize there was any subscription agreement with this
              Newsletter.
              > I had thought last week when I saw the article of subscribing for the 3
              > month period but >when I saw it was set for auto-renewal I decided against
              > it. When you subscribe you have to give a credit card number so if you
              > don't cancel on time you are >stuck for another 3 months or have to go
              > through the hassle of trying to get the money back into your charge
              account.

              > At $10US per year it isn't something I worry about. I used PayPal, which
              is
              > a pretty safe way of handling Internet transactions.

              http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            • Bill Boogaart
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 28, 2003
                At 12:03 PM 4/28/2003 Monday -0600, you wrote:
                >Thanks, I will check that site out.
                >
                >It isn't the amount of the money involved , it is the fact that it is
                >automatically charged. I prefer to be in control of who is charging
                >something to my account.

                I'm with you. I've never used Paypal and yet I had a charge on my Visa
                statement from them last month. Needless to say, I've challenged that one.

                http://www.afhs.ab.ca
              • Mary Arthur
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 28, 2003
                  I am in control of who is charging to my credit card, but if you are
                  not comfortable with Pay Pal, don't use it. You can write a cheque and
                  mail it to him. See: http://www.rootsforum.com/plus/paybycheck.htm It
                  is worth the $10 US I pay.

                  Mary Arthur

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 28, 2003
                    I would be very worried about the security of my credit card if any
                    charges I didn't make showed up (to any company). Pay Pal is a secured
                    site and in my opinion, a good way of paying.
                    Bill's situation is a good reminder to always check your statement.

                    Mary Arthur

                    On Monday, Apr 28, 2003, at 12:31 Canada/Mountain, Bill Boogaart wrote:

                    > At 12:03 PM 4/28/2003 Monday -0600, Bill wrote:
                    > I'm with you. I've never used Paypal and yet I had a charge on my Visa
                    > statement from them last month. Needless to say, I've challenged that
                    > one.

                  • Carol Lylyk
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 28, 2003
                      I am not interested in getting a subscription to the Newsletter as I get the
                      Standard Edition all the time and usually just skim through that. It was
                      just that one article that I was interested in and have since found a site
                      that talks about digital photography of tombstones and a good camera to use.
                      http://www.interment.net/column/records/digital/digital.htm

                      Carol Lylyk