census release campaign

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 13 3:40 PM
      The Senate Bill about the release of the historic census (Bill S-13)
      has not been amended in the Senate. The unamended Bill is worse than no
      legislative changes at all. Although all but 2 Alberta MPs are on
      record as favouring the release of the historic census, they likely do
      not appreciate the problems with Bill S-13 which will be presented to
      them shortly. Everyone please contact your MP by letter or email or
      both to explain to them why Bill S-13 needs to be either amended to meet
      our concerns or defeated.

      The official AFHS and AGS joint submission to the Senate on Bill S-13
      has to be read with the text of Bill S-13 to be comprehensible. To make
      things as easy as possible for our elected representatives, you might
      consider providing them with an annotated copy of the Bill cross
      referenced to our submission or a really succinct explanation (1 page?)
      of your own.

      Lois Sparling

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Judith Rempel
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 13 6:09 PM
        See the top of the homepage of the AFHS website (be sure to refresh your
        browser screen), for links to the submission provided by Lois Sparling and
        to Bill S-13.

        In Kinship,
        Judith Rempel, Webster
        rempel@...

        and

        webster@...

        Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
        http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

        1906 Census Transcription Centre
        http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/

      • Rene Dussome
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 15, 2003
          Lois:

          > Gordon Watts would like to know how many formal requests for access to
          > the 1911 census have been sent to StatsCan and/or the National Archives.
          > Could dist-gen listers remind me who has done what under the Access to
          > Information Act so I can give Gordon a report. This means we need to
          > know if you have already advised Gordon Watson if your requests and
          > complaints are should be added to his totals.

          My ATI to Statistic Canada was sent on June 3, 2003.

          On June 27, 2003 Pamela White, Coordintor, Access to Information and
          Privacy sent me a copy of her form letter. The final paragraph of this
          form letter reads:

          "You are advised that you are entitled to bring a complaint, within one
          year of the date of your request, regarding denial of access to this
          information . . . to: Information Commissioner . . ."

          A specific file number was allocated to me. Do you want me to quote the
          number? Statistics Canada cashed my cheque for $5.00 on July 16, 2003.

          On July 8, 2003 I sent a Letter of Complaint to Mr. John Reid,
          Information Commissioner of Canada.

          Receipt of this Letter of Complaint was acknowledged on behalf of Eric
          Murphy, Correspondence Officer, Office of the Information Commissioner
          of Canada on July 17, 2003.

          My ATI to the National Archives of Canada was delivered to your house on
          July 18, 2003. Due to a possible mail strike, you had agreed to send it
          by overnight courier to the National Archives of Canada in Ottawa,
          together with your own ATI.

          The National Archives cashed my $5.00 cheque on July 24, 2003.

          On July 31, 2003 Julie Attallah, Director, Access to Information and
          Privacy Division, National Archives of Canada sent a letter to Pamela
          White of Statistics Canada advising her that:

          ". . . we are forwarding this request to your department for action.
          Please be advised that we have informed the requester of this transfer.
          The requisite application fee of $5.00 that accompanied this request has
          been deposited to the Consolidated Revenue Fund by our Accounting
          Operations Section."

          A copy of this letter was sent to me together with a letter addressed to
          me dated July 31, 2003 in which Julie Attallah encouraged me not to ". .
          . hesitate to contact Pamela White . . . at (613) 951-3255" if I have
          any questions. A National Archives file number was quoted.

          On September 3, 2003 Pamela White sent me another copy of her form
          letter, this time allocating to me a different file number from the one
          she gave me on June 27, 2003.

          So we have come full circle!!!!

          I sent copies of all the above correspondence, with the exception of
          Pamela White's duplicate form letter dated September 3, 2003, to Gordon
          Watts via snail mail.

          Rene Dussome

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • Lois Sparling

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 16, 2003
              That's Gordon Watts, not Watson.

              Lois

              Lois Sparling wrote:

              > Gordon Watts would like to know how many formal requests for access to
              > the 1911 census have been sent to StatsCan and/or the National
              > Archives. Could dist-gen listers remind me who has done what under the
              > Access to Information Act so I can give Gordon a report. This means
              > we need to know if you have already advised Gordon Watson if your
              > requests and complaints are should be added to his totals.
              >
              > Lois Sparling

            • Lois Sparling
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 8, 2004
                the list Address

                I am forwarding this request from the Canada Census Release mailing list.

                Lois Sparling

                Further to our ongoing campaign to pass bill S-18, I would like to ask each and every one of you to write to Minister Emerson to urge him to take whatever steps are necessary to have the bill get through the Senate as soon as possible. You may want to word it as a Christmas wish, or however you like. However he should be made aware of the significant interest that there is across Canada to have this bill passed as soon as possible.

                Minister Emerson's email addresses are:

                emerson.david@...

                Or

                emersd@...

                I would hope that as many letters as possible could get to Minister Emerson very quickly.

              • Lois Sparling
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 8, 2005
                  the original sender

                  Bill S-18, the proposed legislation to ensure release of the historic
                  census from 1911 to and including 2001 after 92 years , is still stuck
                  in the House of Commons waiting for second reading.

                  Lois Sparling

                • Lois Sparling
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 9, 2008
                    Remember the census release campaign? Remember those petitions we
                    signed and then signed again? Remember Beatty et al vs Statistics
                    Canada? Remember the surprise release of the 1906 census online by the
                    National Archives? Senator Milne has written her account of that long
                    campaign to rescue the 1906 and 1911 from the Chief Statistician, Dr.
                    Fellegi (and 1916 census should be released this year). Read all about
                    the back room politics in her lengthy and detailed story at her web
                    site: http://www.sen.parl.gc.ca/lmilne/Default.asp

                    Phew, what an effort! Her focus is on what went on in Parliament to
                    turn our petitions, emails and Federal Court challenges into
                    legislation. She mercifully leaves out the fact that I lost the second
                    Federal Court case. Of course, she does not know about our chats with
                    Calgary Reform/ Alliance/ Conservative MPs, especially the alternate
                    arrangements to get amendments in the House of Commons to the first,
                    quite unacceptable government bill for the release of the census returns
                    to the public, or the explanation we received from Jason Kenny about the
                    Conservative MP who presented unfriendly amendments at one point to ruin
                    the second, better government bill.

                    There is still the problem of the "opt in" tick box on the 2006 and
                    upcoming 2011 census returns, requiring everyone to give allegedly
                    informed consent to the public release of their household's census
                    return 92 years from hence. And what has happened to the release of the
                    1916 census? 1916 + 92 = 2008

                    Lois Sparling

                    Scanned by iolo AntiVirus 1.5.3.5
                    http://www.iolo.com