Re: Ukrainians in Smoky Lake, other Alberta locations and North Battleford, Sask.

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2003
      Any researcher interested in settlers from a particular country can search
      for the abbreviation in census pages already transcribed. Austria is AUT and
      there were also a few people from Australia AUS.

      1906 census for Calgary has some clusters of people from Austria and other
      countries, often men living in boarding houses. Some census districts have a
      combination of dark or unclear images, difficult handwriting and unfamiliar
      names. Some men came to Alberta a year ahead of the family or worked away
      from their homes during the summer season.

      The land grants database is helpful for those who claimed land. Working on a
      Manitoba district this week, I could sometimes read the land location and
      sometimes the surname. Noticed two lists of railway workers. -- Elizabeth