Ukrainians in Smoky Lake, other Alberta locations and North Battleford, Sask.

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2003
      For anyone who may have had relatives or ancestors who lived in Smoky Lake
      at one time, you may be interested in the List of Ukrainian Settlers
      compiled by Doris Sokolotosky at
      http://www.smokylake.com/history/settlement/list.htm

      Also I have the following request:

      My mother and her sister are looking into their family history. On their
      mothers side they have found this info.

      Lena or Wasysalina Powluik or Palluik married Wasyl Shapka or Bill or
      WIliam. Shapka came over from Bukovina Austria they think in 1905 and was
      born on March 14 1889. They lived in the Andrew Wostock area. I have found
      some of those names in the 1906 cense but haven’t been able to get much
      information on finding more back ground. Their grandmother was to have 12
      children and then she was remarried we think and had several more children.
      Some of the first children were put up for adoption. If you have any
      information that seem to fit this description or know of good places to
      search I would greatly appreciate it.

      If you have any connection or information, please forward to me and I will
      pass it on to the requestor.

      I am compiling a file of material for the Ukrainian SIG and will be adding
      to that the material Rene Dussome gave me last night. Currently I have an
      index of the names listed in the book Follow the Furrow / [compiled by
      Ukrainian the Historical Committee ; edited by Pearl Balych]
      Publication info: North Battleford, Sask. : Ukrainian Historical Committee,
      1985.

      I will happily do a look-up for you and tell you if your name is listed. If
      it is, then we can make arrangements for obtaining a copy of the relevant
      pages.

      Xenia Stanford (president@...)
      Ukrainian SIG Coordinator
      Alberta Family Histories Society
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • E.Rodier
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 8, 2003
        Any researcher interested in settlers from a particular country can search
        for the abbreviation in census pages already transcribed. Austria is AUT and
        there were also a few people from Australia AUS.

        1906 census for Calgary has some clusters of people from Austria and other
        countries, often men living in boarding houses. Some census districts have a
        combination of dark or unclear images, difficult handwriting and unfamiliar
        names. Some men came to Alberta a year ahead of the family or worked away
        from their homes during the summer season.

        The land grants database is helpful for those who claimed land. Working on a
        Manitoba district this week, I could sometimes read the land location and
        sometimes the surname. Noticed two lists of railway workers. -- Elizabeth