Re: AFHS website connection problem

  • Pete Brewster
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
      I'm normally using Netscape 4.75 with an ADSL link from Canmore. No
      problems connecting with the AFHS site except when Telus is down locally.
      I switch to IE 5.1 if I'm having trouble with a particular site, but AFHS
      has not been a problem.

      Pete Brewster

      owner dist gen wrote:

      > Interesting. I have only occasionally had a timeout with Telus. Maybe
      > it depends on the neighbourhood?
      >
      > On Thursday, Apr 3, 2003, at 22:17 Canada/Mountain, Charlie Hansen
      > wrote:
      >
      > > Also using Netscape 7.0X versions, I have frequently have this error
      > > message. Netscape 4.xx gave a different error message, as I recall.
      > > It seems to occur when Netscape times out on my DSL connection. I
      > > expect it only occurs with high speed connections. I can often
      > > access a given web page if I just retry several times. It usually
      > > will start working again after anywhere from one to sometimes over 15
      > > minutes. When it occurs, I am also unable to download my e-mail. My
      > > Pegasus program is set to time out after 90 seconds. I have also
      > > tried doing a "ping" command from MS-DOS, "ping www.telus.net". It
      > > also times out. Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
      > > computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
      > > information on using the ping command, see:
      > >
      > > http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html
      > >
      > > Telus tech services tell me that if all the lights on my DSL modem
      > > are green, which they are, that it has to be my computer. However
      > > that does not explain why the connection will start working by just
      > > waiting and then retrying. Telus also suggest turning off and
      > > restarting the modem, and then rebooting the computer. Also to
      > > "Start->Run->winipcfg" and "release" and "renew" the DSL connection.
      > > Sometimes this attempt to renew also times out and gives an error
      > > message.
      > >
      > > I believe the problem is somewhere in the DSL lines in the Telus
      > > system, but Telus won't yet acknowledge that. However, Telus did set
      > > up a trouble ticket number, that I can use when I call them again, to
      > > bypass the usual wait for telephone help, but they want me to keep a
      > > complete log of what programs I am using and what I try whenever I
      > > have a problem. What a pain!
      > >
      > > This probably won't help answer your question, but be assured that
      > > the problem is not just with AFHS websites, and is not a recent one.
      > > I started having connection problems when Telus took over from
      > > Cadvision, but they seem to happen more frequently now.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Charlie Hansen
      > > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      > >

      > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Joke from Brian
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
        Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
        computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
        information on using the ping command, see:

        http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html

        Regards,
        Charlie Hansen

           I found another interesting article here. Try the article
        http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/0,,26124+24956+1363,00.html for more tips on ping usage.
            You may need  to go to http://computers.lycos.com/ first.

          Brian