Re: AFHS website connection problem

  • George Lake
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
      Hi All:
      At 10:17 PM 4/3/2003 -0700, Charlie Hansen wrote:
      ....snip

      Also using Netscape 7.0X versions, I have frequently have this error
      >message. Netscape 4.xx gave a different error message, as I recall.
      >It seems to occur when Netscape times out on my DSL connection. I
      >expect it only occurs with high speed connections. I can often
      >access a given web page if I just retry several times. It usually
      >will start working again after anywhere from one to sometimes over 15
      >minutes. When it occurs, I am also unable to download my e-mail. My
      >Pegasus program is set to time out after 90 seconds. I have also
      >tried doing a "ping" command from MS-DOS, "ping www.telus.net". It
      >also times out. Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
      >computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
      >information on using the ping command, see:
      >
      >http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html
      >
      >Telus tech services tell me that if all the lights on my DSL modem
      >are green, which they are, that it has to be my computer. However
      >that does not explain why the connection will start working by just
      >waiting and then retrying. Telus also suggest turning off and
      >restarting the modem, and then rebooting the computer. Also to
      >"Start->Run->winipcfg" and "release" and "renew" the DSL connection.
      >Sometimes this attempt to renew also times out and gives an error
      >message.

      I have had the same problem with Telus ADSL using Eudora and Netscape 4.7
      almost ever since I moved to ADSL in Oct from Cadvision. I have long since
      given up coping with Telus, who deny all problems.
      My procedure each day when I first start up my connection is to initiate
      Eudora, and watch the modem lights. When the ADSL link drops (which it
      does about 80 % of the time), shut down Eudora, wait about 30 seconds and
      restart. Everything works fine thereafter. Same procedure works with
      Netscape.
      I had no trouble just now getting the AFHS site.

      >I believe the problem is somewhere in the DSL lines in the Telus
      >system, but Telus won't yet acknowledge that. However, Telus did set
      >up a trouble ticket number, that I can use when I call them again, to
      >bypass the usual wait for telephone help, but they want me to keep a
      >complete log of what programs I am using and what I try whenever I
      >have a problem. What a pain!

      Telus suggested the problem must be in the wiring in my house, :-) despite
      the fact my link works perfectly after the startup problems are cleared. I
      expect Telus' downsizing has eliminated all of their competent tech support
      staff and they are 'running on empty'.

      Regards

      Geo

      George Lake
      1140 Kildonan Pl, SW
      Calgary, Alberta
      T2V 4B1

      Email: george@...
      Website: www.glake.ca

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Pete Brewster
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
        I'm normally using Netscape 4.75 with an ADSL link from Canmore. No
        problems connecting with the AFHS site except when Telus is down locally.
        I switch to IE 5.1 if I'm having trouble with a particular site, but AFHS
        has not been a problem.

        Pete Brewster

        owner dist gen wrote:

        > Interesting. I have only occasionally had a timeout with Telus. Maybe
        > it depends on the neighbourhood?
        >
        > On Thursday, Apr 3, 2003, at 22:17 Canada/Mountain, Charlie Hansen
        > wrote:
        >
        > > Also using Netscape 7.0X versions, I have frequently have this error
        > > message. Netscape 4.xx gave a different error message, as I recall.
        > > It seems to occur when Netscape times out on my DSL connection. I
        > > expect it only occurs with high speed connections. I can often
        > > access a given web page if I just retry several times. It usually
        > > will start working again after anywhere from one to sometimes over 15
        > > minutes. When it occurs, I am also unable to download my e-mail. My
        > > Pegasus program is set to time out after 90 seconds. I have also
        > > tried doing a "ping" command from MS-DOS, "ping www.telus.net". It
        > > also times out. Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
        > > computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
        > > information on using the ping command, see:
        > >
        > > http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html
        > >
        > > Telus tech services tell me that if all the lights on my DSL modem
        > > are green, which they are, that it has to be my computer. However
        > > that does not explain why the connection will start working by just
        > > waiting and then retrying. Telus also suggest turning off and
        > > restarting the modem, and then rebooting the computer. Also to
        > > "Start->Run->winipcfg" and "release" and "renew" the DSL connection.
        > > Sometimes this attempt to renew also times out and gives an error
        > > message.
        > >
        > > I believe the problem is somewhere in the DSL lines in the Telus
        > > system, but Telus won't yet acknowledge that. However, Telus did set
        > > up a trouble ticket number, that I can use when I call them again, to
        > > bypass the usual wait for telephone help, but they want me to keep a
        > > complete log of what programs I am using and what I try whenever I
        > > have a problem. What a pain!
        > >
        > > This probably won't help answer your question, but be assured that
        > > the problem is not just with AFHS websites, and is not a recent one.
        > > I started having connection problems when Telus took over from
        > > Cadvision, but they seem to happen more frequently now.
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > > Charlie Hansen
        > > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        > >

        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Joke from Brian
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
          Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
          computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
          information on using the ping command, see:

          http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html

          Regards,
          Charlie Hansen

             I found another interesting article here. Try the article
          http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/0,,26124+24956+1363,00.html for more tips on ping usage.
              You may need  to go to http://computers.lycos.com/ first.

            Brian