RE: AFHS website connection problem

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3 10:38 PM
      I have the same problem with email as well and rebooting my computer, cable
      modem and router does not fix the problem. I wonder if there is some common
      point in the backbone that both Telus and Shaw connect to for their
      distributed services. I cann't believe that there are such similar problems
      with two different types of delivery without there being a connection
      somewhere.

      I know ISPs do share internet pipelines and you have to be careful where you
      go to for alternate services in case of a failure in your primary service

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Treasurer
      Editor Chinook

      Family website
      http://www.rumbolt.com

    • George Lake
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4 8:53 AM
        Hi All:
        At 10:17 PM 4/3/2003 -0700, Charlie Hansen wrote:
        ....snip

        Also using Netscape 7.0X versions, I have frequently have this error
        >message. Netscape 4.xx gave a different error message, as I recall.
        >It seems to occur when Netscape times out on my DSL connection. I
        >expect it only occurs with high speed connections. I can often
        >access a given web page if I just retry several times. It usually
        >will start working again after anywhere from one to sometimes over 15
        >minutes. When it occurs, I am also unable to download my e-mail. My
        >Pegasus program is set to time out after 90 seconds. I have also
        >tried doing a "ping" command from MS-DOS, "ping www.telus.net". It
        >also times out. Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
        >computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
        >information on using the ping command, see:
        >
        >http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html
        >
        >Telus tech services tell me that if all the lights on my DSL modem
        >are green, which they are, that it has to be my computer. However
        >that does not explain why the connection will start working by just
        >waiting and then retrying. Telus also suggest turning off and
        >restarting the modem, and then rebooting the computer. Also to
        >"Start->Run->winipcfg" and "release" and "renew" the DSL connection.
        >Sometimes this attempt to renew also times out and gives an error
        >message.

        I have had the same problem with Telus ADSL using Eudora and Netscape 4.7
        almost ever since I moved to ADSL in Oct from Cadvision. I have long since
        given up coping with Telus, who deny all problems.
        My procedure each day when I first start up my connection is to initiate
        Eudora, and watch the modem lights. When the ADSL link drops (which it
        does about 80 % of the time), shut down Eudora, wait about 30 seconds and
        restart. Everything works fine thereafter. Same procedure works with
        Netscape.
        I had no trouble just now getting the AFHS site.

        >I believe the problem is somewhere in the DSL lines in the Telus
        >system, but Telus won't yet acknowledge that. However, Telus did set
        >up a trouble ticket number, that I can use when I call them again, to
        >bypass the usual wait for telephone help, but they want me to keep a
        >complete log of what programs I am using and what I try whenever I
        >have a problem. What a pain!

        Telus suggested the problem must be in the wiring in my house, :-) despite
        the fact my link works perfectly after the startup problems are cleared. I
        expect Telus' downsizing has eliminated all of their competent tech support
        staff and they are 'running on empty'.

        Regards

        Geo

        George Lake
        1140 Kildonan Pl, SW
        Calgary, Alberta
        T2V 4B1

        Email: george@...
        Website: www.glake.ca

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Pete Brewster
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4 12:35 PM
          I'm normally using Netscape 4.75 with an ADSL link from Canmore. No
          problems connecting with the AFHS site except when Telus is down locally.
          I switch to IE 5.1 if I'm having trouble with a particular site, but AFHS
          has not been a problem.

          Pete Brewster

          owner dist gen wrote:

          > Interesting. I have only occasionally had a timeout with Telus. Maybe
          > it depends on the neighbourhood?
          >
          > On Thursday, Apr 3, 2003, at 22:17 Canada/Mountain, Charlie Hansen
          > wrote:
          >
          > > Also using Netscape 7.0X versions, I have frequently have this error
          > > message. Netscape 4.xx gave a different error message, as I recall.
          > > It seems to occur when Netscape times out on my DSL connection. I
          > > expect it only occurs with high speed connections. I can often
          > > access a given web page if I just retry several times. It usually
          > > will start working again after anywhere from one to sometimes over 15
          > > minutes. When it occurs, I am also unable to download my e-mail. My
          > > Pegasus program is set to time out after 90 seconds. I have also
          > > tried doing a "ping" command from MS-DOS, "ping www.telus.net". It
          > > also times out. Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
          > > computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
          > > information on using the ping command, see:
          > >
          > > http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html
          > >
          > > Telus tech services tell me that if all the lights on my DSL modem
          > > are green, which they are, that it has to be my computer. However
          > > that does not explain why the connection will start working by just
          > > waiting and then retrying. Telus also suggest turning off and
          > > restarting the modem, and then rebooting the computer. Also to
          > > "Start->Run->winipcfg" and "release" and "renew" the DSL connection.
          > > Sometimes this attempt to renew also times out and gives an error
          > > message.
          > >
          > > I believe the problem is somewhere in the DSL lines in the Telus
          > > system, but Telus won't yet acknowledge that. However, Telus did set
          > > up a trouble ticket number, that I can use when I call them again, to
          > > bypass the usual wait for telephone help, but they want me to keep a
          > > complete log of what programs I am using and what I try whenever I
          > > have a problem. What a pain!
          > >
          > > This probably won't help answer your question, but be assured that
          > > the problem is not just with AFHS websites, and is not a recent one.
          > > I started having connection problems when Telus took over from
          > > Cadvision, but they seem to happen more frequently now.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > Charlie Hansen
          > > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          > >

          > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • Joke from Brian
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 4 9:46 PM
            Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
            computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
            information on using the ping command, see:

            http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html

            Regards,
            Charlie Hansen

               I found another interesting article here. Try the article
            http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/0,,26124+24956+1363,00.html for more tips on ping usage.
                You may need  to go to http://computers.lycos.com/ first.

              Brian