Re: AFHS website connection problem

  • Charlie Hansen
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3, 2003
      On 3 Apr 2003 at 19:50, Judith Rempel wrote:

      > From one of the 1906 Census transcribers, I heard today:
      >
      > > The last 2 days, when I have attempted to go to AFHS site I
      > > get 'The connection was refused when attempting to contact
      > > www.afhs.ab.ca". This with my Netscape 7 browser.
      > >
      > > When I use IE browser I get to the 1906 Search page and then get
      > > "The > connection ..." message again.
      >
      > Has anyone else had this problem? Our webstats show reduced accesses,
      > but the homepage comes 'up' for me just fine.

      Also using Netscape 7.0X versions, I have frequently have this error
      message. Netscape 4.xx gave a different error message, as I recall.
      It seems to occur when Netscape times out on my DSL connection. I
      expect it only occurs with high speed connections. I can often
      access a given web page if I just retry several times. It usually
      will start working again after anywhere from one to sometimes over 15
      minutes. When it occurs, I am also unable to download my e-mail. My
      Pegasus program is set to time out after 90 seconds. I have also
      tried doing a "ping" command from MS-DOS, "ping www.telus.net". It
      also times out. Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
      computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
      information on using the ping command, see:

      http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html

      Telus tech services tell me that if all the lights on my DSL modem
      are green, which they are, that it has to be my computer. However
      that does not explain why the connection will start working by just
      waiting and then retrying. Telus also suggest turning off and
      restarting the modem, and then rebooting the computer. Also to
      "Start->Run->winipcfg" and "release" and "renew" the DSL connection.
      Sometimes this attempt to renew also times out and gives an error
      message.

      I believe the problem is somewhere in the DSL lines in the Telus
      system, but Telus won't yet acknowledge that. However, Telus did set
      up a trouble ticket number, that I can use when I call them again, to
      bypass the usual wait for telephone help, but they want me to keep a
      complete log of what programs I am using and what I try whenever I
      have a problem. What a pain!

      This probably won't help answer your question, but be assured that
      the problem is not just with AFHS websites, and is not a recent one.
      I started having connection problems when Telus took over from
      Cadvision, but they seem to happen more frequently now.

      Regards,
      Charlie Hansen
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • owner dist gen
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3, 2003
        Interesting. I have only occasionally had a timeout with Telus. Maybe
        it depends on the neighbourhood?

        On Thursday, Apr 3, 2003, at 22:17 Canada/Mountain, Charlie Hansen
        wrote:

        > Also using Netscape 7.0X versions, I have frequently have this error
        > message. Netscape 4.xx gave a different error message, as I recall.
        > It seems to occur when Netscape times out on my DSL connection. I
        > expect it only occurs with high speed connections. I can often
        > access a given web page if I just retry several times. It usually
        > will start working again after anywhere from one to sometimes over 15
        > minutes. When it occurs, I am also unable to download my e-mail. My
        > Pegasus program is set to time out after 90 seconds. I have also
        > tried doing a "ping" command from MS-DOS, "ping www.telus.net". It
        > also times out. Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
        > computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
        > information on using the ping command, see:
        >
        > http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html
        >
        > Telus tech services tell me that if all the lights on my DSL modem
        > are green, which they are, that it has to be my computer. However
        > that does not explain why the connection will start working by just
        > waiting and then retrying. Telus also suggest turning off and
        > restarting the modem, and then rebooting the computer. Also to
        > "Start->Run->winipcfg" and "release" and "renew" the DSL connection.
        > Sometimes this attempt to renew also times out and gives an error
        > message.
        >
        > I believe the problem is somewhere in the DSL lines in the Telus
        > system, but Telus won't yet acknowledge that. However, Telus did set
        > up a trouble ticket number, that I can use when I call them again, to
        > bypass the usual wait for telephone help, but they want me to keep a
        > complete log of what programs I am using and what I try whenever I
        > have a problem. What a pain!
        >
        > This probably won't help answer your question, but be assured that
        > the problem is not just with AFHS websites, and is not a recent one.
        > I started having connection problems when Telus took over from
        > Cadvision, but they seem to happen more frequently now.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Charlie Hansen

      • Gordon Lane
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3, 2003
          I have the same problem with email as well and rebooting my computer, cable
          modem and router does not fix the problem. I wonder if there is some common
          point in the backbone that both Telus and Shaw connect to for their
          distributed services. I cann't believe that there are such similar problems
          with two different types of delivery without there being a connection
          somewhere.

          I know ISPs do share internet pipelines and you have to be careful where you
          go to for alternate services in case of a failure in your primary service

          Regards

          Gordon Lane
          Treasurer
          Editor Chinook

          Family website
          http://www.rumbolt.com

        • George Lake
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
            Hi All:
            At 10:17 PM 4/3/2003 -0700, Charlie Hansen wrote:
            ....snip

            Also using Netscape 7.0X versions, I have frequently have this error
            >message. Netscape 4.xx gave a different error message, as I recall.
            >It seems to occur when Netscape times out on my DSL connection. I
            >expect it only occurs with high speed connections. I can often
            >access a given web page if I just retry several times. It usually
            >will start working again after anywhere from one to sometimes over 15
            >minutes. When it occurs, I am also unable to download my e-mail. My
            >Pegasus program is set to time out after 90 seconds. I have also
            >tried doing a "ping" command from MS-DOS, "ping www.telus.net". It
            >also times out. Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
            >computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
            >information on using the ping command, see:
            >
            >http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html
            >
            >Telus tech services tell me that if all the lights on my DSL modem
            >are green, which they are, that it has to be my computer. However
            >that does not explain why the connection will start working by just
            >waiting and then retrying. Telus also suggest turning off and
            >restarting the modem, and then rebooting the computer. Also to
            >"Start->Run->winipcfg" and "release" and "renew" the DSL connection.
            >Sometimes this attempt to renew also times out and gives an error
            >message.

            I have had the same problem with Telus ADSL using Eudora and Netscape 4.7
            almost ever since I moved to ADSL in Oct from Cadvision. I have long since
            given up coping with Telus, who deny all problems.
            My procedure each day when I first start up my connection is to initiate
            Eudora, and watch the modem lights. When the ADSL link drops (which it
            does about 80 % of the time), shut down Eudora, wait about 30 seconds and
            restart. Everything works fine thereafter. Same procedure works with
            Netscape.
            I had no trouble just now getting the AFHS site.

            >I believe the problem is somewhere in the DSL lines in the Telus
            >system, but Telus won't yet acknowledge that. However, Telus did set
            >up a trouble ticket number, that I can use when I call them again, to
            >bypass the usual wait for telephone help, but they want me to keep a
            >complete log of what programs I am using and what I try whenever I
            >have a problem. What a pain!

            Telus suggested the problem must be in the wiring in my house, :-) despite
            the fact my link works perfectly after the startup problems are cleared. I
            expect Telus' downsizing has eliminated all of their competent tech support
            staff and they are 'running on empty'.

            Regards

            Geo

            George Lake
            1140 Kildonan Pl, SW
            Calgary, Alberta
            T2V 4B1

            Email: george@...
            Website: www.glake.ca

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Pete Brewster
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
              I'm normally using Netscape 4.75 with an ADSL link from Canmore. No
              problems connecting with the AFHS site except when Telus is down locally.
              I switch to IE 5.1 if I'm having trouble with a particular site, but AFHS
              has not been a problem.

              Pete Brewster

              owner dist gen wrote:

              > Interesting. I have only occasionally had a timeout with Telus. Maybe
              > it depends on the neighbourhood?
              >
              > On Thursday, Apr 3, 2003, at 22:17 Canada/Mountain, Charlie Hansen
              > wrote:
              >
              > > Also using Netscape 7.0X versions, I have frequently have this error
              > > message. Netscape 4.xx gave a different error message, as I recall.
              > > It seems to occur when Netscape times out on my DSL connection. I
              > > expect it only occurs with high speed connections. I can often
              > > access a given web page if I just retry several times. It usually
              > > will start working again after anywhere from one to sometimes over 15
              > > minutes. When it occurs, I am also unable to download my e-mail. My
              > > Pegasus program is set to time out after 90 seconds. I have also
              > > tried doing a "ping" command from MS-DOS, "ping www.telus.net". It
              > > also times out. Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
              > > computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
              > > information on using the ping command, see:
              > >
              > > http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html
              > >
              > > Telus tech services tell me that if all the lights on my DSL modem
              > > are green, which they are, that it has to be my computer. However
              > > that does not explain why the connection will start working by just
              > > waiting and then retrying. Telus also suggest turning off and
              > > restarting the modem, and then rebooting the computer. Also to
              > > "Start->Run->winipcfg" and "release" and "renew" the DSL connection.
              > > Sometimes this attempt to renew also times out and gives an error
              > > message.
              > >
              > > I believe the problem is somewhere in the DSL lines in the Telus
              > > system, but Telus won't yet acknowledge that. However, Telus did set
              > > up a trouble ticket number, that I can use when I call them again, to
              > > bypass the usual wait for telephone help, but they want me to keep a
              > > complete log of what programs I am using and what I try whenever I
              > > have a problem. What a pain!
              > >
              > > This probably won't help answer your question, but be assured that
              > > the problem is not just with AFHS websites, and is not a recent one.
              > > I started having connection problems when Telus took over from
              > > Cadvision, but they seem to happen more frequently now.
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > > Charlie Hansen
              > > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
              > >

              > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            • Joke from Brian
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
                Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
                computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
                information on using the ping command, see:

                http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html

                Regards,
                Charlie Hansen

                   I found another interesting article here. Try the article
                http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/0,,26124+24956+1363,00.html for more tips on ping usage.
                    You may need  to go to http://computers.lycos.com/ first.

                  Brian