Re: AFHS website

  • Carol Lylyk
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3, 2003
      Hi Judii

      I go through the AFHS site 3 or 4 times a day to get to the Census pages and
      haven't had a problem. I use IE 5.5.

      Carol Lylyk
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3, 2003
        On 3 Apr 2003 at 19:50, Judith Rempel wrote:

        > From one of the 1906 Census transcribers, I heard today:
        >
        > > The last 2 days, when I have attempted to go to AFHS site I
        > > get 'The connection was refused when attempting to contact
        > > www.afhs.ab.ca". This with my Netscape 7 browser.
        > >
        > > When I use IE browser I get to the 1906 Search page and then get
        > > "The > connection ..." message again.
        >
        > Has anyone else had this problem? Our webstats show reduced accesses,
        > but the homepage comes 'up' for me just fine.

        Also using Netscape 7.0X versions, I have frequently have this error
        message. Netscape 4.xx gave a different error message, as I recall.
        It seems to occur when Netscape times out on my DSL connection. I
        expect it only occurs with high speed connections. I can often
        access a given web page if I just retry several times. It usually
        will start working again after anywhere from one to sometimes over 15
        minutes. When it occurs, I am also unable to download my e-mail. My
        Pegasus program is set to time out after 90 seconds. I have also
        tried doing a "ping" command from MS-DOS, "ping www.telus.net". It
        also times out. Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
        computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
        information on using the ping command, see:

        http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html

        Telus tech services tell me that if all the lights on my DSL modem
        are green, which they are, that it has to be my computer. However
        that does not explain why the connection will start working by just
        waiting and then retrying. Telus also suggest turning off and
        restarting the modem, and then rebooting the computer. Also to
        "Start->Run->winipcfg" and "release" and "renew" the DSL connection.
        Sometimes this attempt to renew also times out and gives an error
        message.

        I believe the problem is somewhere in the DSL lines in the Telus
        system, but Telus won't yet acknowledge that. However, Telus did set
        up a trouble ticket number, that I can use when I call them again, to
        bypass the usual wait for telephone help, but they want me to keep a
        complete log of what programs I am using and what I try whenever I
        have a problem. What a pain!

        This probably won't help answer your question, but be assured that
        the problem is not just with AFHS websites, and is not a recent one.
        I started having connection problems when Telus took over from
        Cadvision, but they seem to happen more frequently now.

        Regards,
        Charlie Hansen
        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • owner dist gen
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3, 2003
          Interesting. I have only occasionally had a timeout with Telus. Maybe
          it depends on the neighbourhood?

          On Thursday, Apr 3, 2003, at 22:17 Canada/Mountain, Charlie Hansen
          wrote:

          > Also using Netscape 7.0X versions, I have frequently have this error
          > message. Netscape 4.xx gave a different error message, as I recall.
          > It seems to occur when Netscape times out on my DSL connection. I
          > expect it only occurs with high speed connections. I can often
          > access a given web page if I just retry several times. It usually
          > will start working again after anywhere from one to sometimes over 15
          > minutes. When it occurs, I am also unable to download my e-mail. My
          > Pegasus program is set to time out after 90 seconds. I have also
          > tried doing a "ping" command from MS-DOS, "ping www.telus.net". It
          > also times out. Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
          > computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
          > information on using the ping command, see:
          >
          > http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html
          >
          > Telus tech services tell me that if all the lights on my DSL modem
          > are green, which they are, that it has to be my computer. However
          > that does not explain why the connection will start working by just
          > waiting and then retrying. Telus also suggest turning off and
          > restarting the modem, and then rebooting the computer. Also to
          > "Start->Run->winipcfg" and "release" and "renew" the DSL connection.
          > Sometimes this attempt to renew also times out and gives an error
          > message.
          >
          > I believe the problem is somewhere in the DSL lines in the Telus
          > system, but Telus won't yet acknowledge that. However, Telus did set
          > up a trouble ticket number, that I can use when I call them again, to
          > bypass the usual wait for telephone help, but they want me to keep a
          > complete log of what programs I am using and what I try whenever I
          > have a problem. What a pain!
          >
          > This probably won't help answer your question, but be assured that
          > the problem is not just with AFHS websites, and is not a recent one.
          > I started having connection problems when Telus took over from
          > Cadvision, but they seem to happen more frequently now.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Charlie Hansen

        • Gordon Lane
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 3, 2003
            I have the same problem with email as well and rebooting my computer, cable
            modem and router does not fix the problem. I wonder if there is some common
            point in the backbone that both Telus and Shaw connect to for their
            distributed services. I cann't believe that there are such similar problems
            with two different types of delivery without there being a connection
            somewhere.

            I know ISPs do share internet pipelines and you have to be careful where you
            go to for alternate services in case of a failure in your primary service

            Regards

            Gordon Lane
            Treasurer
            Editor Chinook

            Family website
            http://www.rumbolt.com

          • George Lake
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
              Hi All:
              At 10:17 PM 4/3/2003 -0700, Charlie Hansen wrote:
              ....snip

              Also using Netscape 7.0X versions, I have frequently have this error
              >message. Netscape 4.xx gave a different error message, as I recall.
              >It seems to occur when Netscape times out on my DSL connection. I
              >expect it only occurs with high speed connections. I can often
              >access a given web page if I just retry several times. It usually
              >will start working again after anywhere from one to sometimes over 15
              >minutes. When it occurs, I am also unable to download my e-mail. My
              >Pegasus program is set to time out after 90 seconds. I have also
              >tried doing a "ping" command from MS-DOS, "ping www.telus.net". It
              >also times out. Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
              >computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
              >information on using the ping command, see:
              >
              >http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html
              >
              >Telus tech services tell me that if all the lights on my DSL modem
              >are green, which they are, that it has to be my computer. However
              >that does not explain why the connection will start working by just
              >waiting and then retrying. Telus also suggest turning off and
              >restarting the modem, and then rebooting the computer. Also to
              >"Start->Run->winipcfg" and "release" and "renew" the DSL connection.
              >Sometimes this attempt to renew also times out and gives an error
              >message.

              I have had the same problem with Telus ADSL using Eudora and Netscape 4.7
              almost ever since I moved to ADSL in Oct from Cadvision. I have long since
              given up coping with Telus, who deny all problems.
              My procedure each day when I first start up my connection is to initiate
              Eudora, and watch the modem lights. When the ADSL link drops (which it
              does about 80 % of the time), shut down Eudora, wait about 30 seconds and
              restart. Everything works fine thereafter. Same procedure works with
              Netscape.
              I had no trouble just now getting the AFHS site.

              >I believe the problem is somewhere in the DSL lines in the Telus
              >system, but Telus won't yet acknowledge that. However, Telus did set
              >up a trouble ticket number, that I can use when I call them again, to
              >bypass the usual wait for telephone help, but they want me to keep a
              >complete log of what programs I am using and what I try whenever I
              >have a problem. What a pain!

              Telus suggested the problem must be in the wiring in my house, :-) despite
              the fact my link works perfectly after the startup problems are cleared. I
              expect Telus' downsizing has eliminated all of their competent tech support
              staff and they are 'running on empty'.

              Regards

              Geo

              George Lake
              1140 Kildonan Pl, SW
              Calgary, Alberta
              T2V 4B1

              Email: george@...
              Website: www.glake.ca

              http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            • Pete Brewster
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
                I'm normally using Netscape 4.75 with an ADSL link from Canmore. No
                problems connecting with the AFHS site except when Telus is down locally.
                I switch to IE 5.1 if I'm having trouble with a particular site, but AFHS
                has not been a problem.

                Pete Brewster

                owner dist gen wrote:

                > Interesting. I have only occasionally had a timeout with Telus. Maybe
                > it depends on the neighbourhood?
                >
                > On Thursday, Apr 3, 2003, at 22:17 Canada/Mountain, Charlie Hansen
                > wrote:
                >
                > > Also using Netscape 7.0X versions, I have frequently have this error
                > > message. Netscape 4.xx gave a different error message, as I recall.
                > > It seems to occur when Netscape times out on my DSL connection. I
                > > expect it only occurs with high speed connections. I can often
                > > access a given web page if I just retry several times. It usually
                > > will start working again after anywhere from one to sometimes over 15
                > > minutes. When it occurs, I am also unable to download my e-mail. My
                > > Pegasus program is set to time out after 90 seconds. I have also
                > > tried doing a "ping" command from MS-DOS, "ping www.telus.net". It
                > > also times out. Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
                > > computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
                > > information on using the ping command, see:
                > >
                > > http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html
                > >
                > > Telus tech services tell me that if all the lights on my DSL modem
                > > are green, which they are, that it has to be my computer. However
                > > that does not explain why the connection will start working by just
                > > waiting and then retrying. Telus also suggest turning off and
                > > restarting the modem, and then rebooting the computer. Also to
                > > "Start->Run->winipcfg" and "release" and "renew" the DSL connection.
                > > Sometimes this attempt to renew also times out and gives an error
                > > message.
                > >
                > > I believe the problem is somewhere in the DSL lines in the Telus
                > > system, but Telus won't yet acknowledge that. However, Telus did set
                > > up a trouble ticket number, that I can use when I call them again, to
                > > bypass the usual wait for telephone help, but they want me to keep a
                > > complete log of what programs I am using and what I try whenever I
                > > have a problem. What a pain!
                > >
                > > This probably won't help answer your question, but be assured that
                > > the problem is not just with AFHS websites, and is not a recent one.
                > > I started having connection problems when Telus took over from
                > > Cadvision, but they seem to happen more frequently now.
                > >
                > > Regards,
                > > Charlie Hansen
                > > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                > >

                > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
              • Joke from Brian
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
                  Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
                  computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
                  information on using the ping command, see:

                  http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html

                  Regards,
                  Charlie Hansen

                     I found another interesting article here. Try the article
                  http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/0,,26124+24956+1363,00.html for more tips on ping usage.
                      You may need  to go to http://computers.lycos.com/ first.

                    Brian