RE: AFHS website

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3 6:57 PM
      Hi Judii,

      I have had no problems with connecting to the AFHS site in particular. I
      have, however, had problems with my shaw account in general where I loose
      connectivity and have to wait for up to 15 minutes before I get it back.

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Treasurer
      Editor Chinook

      Family website
      http://www.rumbolt.com

    • Rene Dussome
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3 7:06 PM
        Judii:

        I have not had any problem with Netscape 4.78 and access the AFHS
        website every time I logon to the Internet. This website is my home
        page. Perhaps, as such, it doesn't show up in the webstats?

        Rene

        > From one of the 1906 Census transcribers, I heard today:
        >
        > > The last 2 days, when I have attempted to go to AFHS site I
        > > get 'The connection was refused when attempting to contact
        > > www.afhs.ab.ca". This with my Netscape 7 browser.
        > >
        > > When I use IE browser I get to the 1906 Search page and then get "The
        > > connection ..." message again.
        >
        > Has anyone else had this problem? Our webstats show reduced accesses,
        > but the homepage comes 'up' for me just fine.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > --
        > In Kinship,
        > Judith Rempel, Webster
        > rempel@...
        >
        > and
        >
        > webster@...
        > Alberta Family Histories Society
        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        >
        > Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/
        >
        > 1906 Census Transcription Centre
        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/

      • Carol Lylyk
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3 7:14 PM
          Hi Judii

          I go through the AFHS site 3 or 4 times a day to get to the Census pages and
          haven't had a problem. I use IE 5.5.

          Carol Lylyk
          > > The last 2 days, when I have attempted to go to AFHS site I
          > > get 'The connection was refused when attempting to contact
          > > www.afhs.ab.ca". This with my Netscape 7 browser.
          > >
          > > When I use IE browser I get to the 1906 Search page and then get "The
          > > connection ..." message again.
          >

          > Has anyone else had this problem? Our webstats show reduced accesses,
          > but the homepage comes 'up' for me just fine.
          >
          > Thanks.

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • Charlie Hansen
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 3 9:17 PM
            On 3 Apr 2003 at 19:50, Judith Rempel wrote:

            > From one of the 1906 Census transcribers, I heard today:
            >
            > > The last 2 days, when I have attempted to go to AFHS site I
            > > get 'The connection was refused when attempting to contact
            > > www.afhs.ab.ca". This with my Netscape 7 browser.
            > >
            > > When I use IE browser I get to the 1906 Search page and then get
            > > "The > connection ..." message again.
            >
            > Has anyone else had this problem? Our webstats show reduced accesses,
            > but the homepage comes 'up' for me just fine.

            Also using Netscape 7.0X versions, I have frequently have this error
            message. Netscape 4.xx gave a different error message, as I recall.
            It seems to occur when Netscape times out on my DSL connection. I
            expect it only occurs with high speed connections. I can often
            access a given web page if I just retry several times. It usually
            will start working again after anywhere from one to sometimes over 15
            minutes. When it occurs, I am also unable to download my e-mail. My
            Pegasus program is set to time out after 90 seconds. I have also
            tried doing a "ping" command from MS-DOS, "ping www.telus.net". It
            also times out. Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
            computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
            information on using the ping command, see:

            http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html

            Telus tech services tell me that if all the lights on my DSL modem
            are green, which they are, that it has to be my computer. However
            that does not explain why the connection will start working by just
            waiting and then retrying. Telus also suggest turning off and
            restarting the modem, and then rebooting the computer. Also to
            "Start->Run->winipcfg" and "release" and "renew" the DSL connection.
            Sometimes this attempt to renew also times out and gives an error
            message.

            I believe the problem is somewhere in the DSL lines in the Telus
            system, but Telus won't yet acknowledge that. However, Telus did set
            up a trouble ticket number, that I can use when I call them again, to
            bypass the usual wait for telephone help, but they want me to keep a
            complete log of what programs I am using and what I try whenever I
            have a problem. What a pain!

            This probably won't help answer your question, but be assured that
            the problem is not just with AFHS websites, and is not a recent one.
            I started having connection problems when Telus took over from
            Cadvision, but they seem to happen more frequently now.

            Regards,
            Charlie Hansen
            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • owner dist gen
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3 9:38 PM
              Interesting. I have only occasionally had a timeout with Telus. Maybe
              it depends on the neighbourhood?

              On Thursday, Apr 3, 2003, at 22:17 Canada/Mountain, Charlie Hansen
              wrote:

              > Also using Netscape 7.0X versions, I have frequently have this error
              > message. Netscape 4.xx gave a different error message, as I recall.
              > It seems to occur when Netscape times out on my DSL connection. I
              > expect it only occurs with high speed connections. I can often
              > access a given web page if I just retry several times. It usually
              > will start working again after anywhere from one to sometimes over 15
              > minutes. When it occurs, I am also unable to download my e-mail. My
              > Pegasus program is set to time out after 90 seconds. I have also
              > tried doing a "ping" command from MS-DOS, "ping www.telus.net". It
              > also times out. Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
              > computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
              > information on using the ping command, see:
              >
              > http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html
              >
              > Telus tech services tell me that if all the lights on my DSL modem
              > are green, which they are, that it has to be my computer. However
              > that does not explain why the connection will start working by just
              > waiting and then retrying. Telus also suggest turning off and
              > restarting the modem, and then rebooting the computer. Also to
              > "Start->Run->winipcfg" and "release" and "renew" the DSL connection.
              > Sometimes this attempt to renew also times out and gives an error
              > message.
              >
              > I believe the problem is somewhere in the DSL lines in the Telus
              > system, but Telus won't yet acknowledge that. However, Telus did set
              > up a trouble ticket number, that I can use when I call them again, to
              > bypass the usual wait for telephone help, but they want me to keep a
              > complete log of what programs I am using and what I try whenever I
              > have a problem. What a pain!
              >
              > This probably won't help answer your question, but be assured that
              > the problem is not just with AFHS websites, and is not a recent one.
              > I started having connection problems when Telus took over from
              > Cadvision, but they seem to happen more frequently now.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Charlie Hansen

            • Gordon Lane
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3 10:38 PM
                I have the same problem with email as well and rebooting my computer, cable
                modem and router does not fix the problem. I wonder if there is some common
                point in the backbone that both Telus and Shaw connect to for their
                distributed services. I cann't believe that there are such similar problems
                with two different types of delivery without there being a connection
                somewhere.

                I know ISPs do share internet pipelines and you have to be careful where you
                go to for alternate services in case of a failure in your primary service

                Regards

                Gordon Lane
                Treasurer
                Editor Chinook

                Family website
                http://www.rumbolt.com

              • George Lake
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 4 8:53 AM
                  Hi All:
                  At 10:17 PM 4/3/2003 -0700, Charlie Hansen wrote:
                  ....snip

                  Also using Netscape 7.0X versions, I have frequently have this error
                  >message. Netscape 4.xx gave a different error message, as I recall.
                  >It seems to occur when Netscape times out on my DSL connection. I
                  >expect it only occurs with high speed connections. I can often
                  >access a given web page if I just retry several times. It usually
                  >will start working again after anywhere from one to sometimes over 15
                  >minutes. When it occurs, I am also unable to download my e-mail. My
                  >Pegasus program is set to time out after 90 seconds. I have also
                  >tried doing a "ping" command from MS-DOS, "ping www.telus.net". It
                  >also times out. Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
                  >computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
                  >information on using the ping command, see:
                  >
                  >http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html
                  >
                  >Telus tech services tell me that if all the lights on my DSL modem
                  >are green, which they are, that it has to be my computer. However
                  >that does not explain why the connection will start working by just
                  >waiting and then retrying. Telus also suggest turning off and
                  >restarting the modem, and then rebooting the computer. Also to
                  >"Start->Run->winipcfg" and "release" and "renew" the DSL connection.
                  >Sometimes this attempt to renew also times out and gives an error
                  >message.

                  I have had the same problem with Telus ADSL using Eudora and Netscape 4.7
                  almost ever since I moved to ADSL in Oct from Cadvision. I have long since
                  given up coping with Telus, who deny all problems.
                  My procedure each day when I first start up my connection is to initiate
                  Eudora, and watch the modem lights. When the ADSL link drops (which it
                  does about 80 % of the time), shut down Eudora, wait about 30 seconds and
                  restart. Everything works fine thereafter. Same procedure works with
                  Netscape.
                  I had no trouble just now getting the AFHS site.

                  >I believe the problem is somewhere in the DSL lines in the Telus
                  >system, but Telus won't yet acknowledge that. However, Telus did set
                  >up a trouble ticket number, that I can use when I call them again, to
                  >bypass the usual wait for telephone help, but they want me to keep a
                  >complete log of what programs I am using and what I try whenever I
                  >have a problem. What a pain!

                  Telus suggested the problem must be in the wiring in my house, :-) despite
                  the fact my link works perfectly after the startup problems are cleared. I
                  expect Telus' downsizing has eliminated all of their competent tech support
                  staff and they are 'running on empty'.

                  Regards

                  Geo

                  George Lake
                  1140 Kildonan Pl, SW
                  Calgary, Alberta
                  T2V 4B1

                  Email: george@...
                  Website: www.glake.ca

                  http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                • Pete Brewster
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 4 12:35 PM
                    I'm normally using Netscape 4.75 with an ADSL link from Canmore. No
                    problems connecting with the AFHS site except when Telus is down locally.
                    I switch to IE 5.1 if I'm having trouble with a particular site, but AFHS
                    has not been a problem.

                    Pete Brewster

                    owner dist gen wrote:

                    > Interesting. I have only occasionally had a timeout with Telus. Maybe
                    > it depends on the neighbourhood?
                    >
                    > On Thursday, Apr 3, 2003, at 22:17 Canada/Mountain, Charlie Hansen
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    > > Also using Netscape 7.0X versions, I have frequently have this error
                    > > message. Netscape 4.xx gave a different error message, as I recall.
                    > > It seems to occur when Netscape times out on my DSL connection. I
                    > > expect it only occurs with high speed connections. I can often
                    > > access a given web page if I just retry several times. It usually
                    > > will start working again after anywhere from one to sometimes over 15
                    > > minutes. When it occurs, I am also unable to download my e-mail. My
                    > > Pegasus program is set to time out after 90 seconds. I have also
                    > > tried doing a "ping" command from MS-DOS, "ping www.telus.net". It
                    > > also times out. Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
                    > > computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
                    > > information on using the ping command, see:
                    > >
                    > > http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html
                    > >
                    > > Telus tech services tell me that if all the lights on my DSL modem
                    > > are green, which they are, that it has to be my computer. However
                    > > that does not explain why the connection will start working by just
                    > > waiting and then retrying. Telus also suggest turning off and
                    > > restarting the modem, and then rebooting the computer. Also to
                    > > "Start->Run->winipcfg" and "release" and "renew" the DSL connection.
                    > > Sometimes this attempt to renew also times out and gives an error
                    > > message.
                    > >
                    > > I believe the problem is somewhere in the DSL lines in the Telus
                    > > system, but Telus won't yet acknowledge that. However, Telus did set
                    > > up a trouble ticket number, that I can use when I call them again, to
                    > > bypass the usual wait for telephone help, but they want me to keep a
                    > > complete log of what programs I am using and what I try whenever I
                    > > have a problem. What a pain!
                    > >
                    > > This probably won't help answer your question, but be assured that
                    > > the problem is not just with AFHS websites, and is not a recent one.
                    > > I started having connection problems when Telus took over from
                    > > Cadvision, but they seem to happen more frequently now.
                    > >
                    > > Regards,
                    > > Charlie Hansen
                    > > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                    > >

                    > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                  • Joke from Brian
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 4 9:46 PM
                      Pinging the magic IP 127.0.0.1 which tests your own
                      computer's TCP/IP hardware and software checks out OK. For
                      information on using the ping command, see:

                      http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,26124+24956+1362,00.html

                      Regards,
                      Charlie Hansen

                         I found another interesting article here. Try the article
                      http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/0,,26124+24956+1363,00.html for more tips on ping usage.
                          You may need  to go to http://computers.lycos.com/ first.

                        Brian