Ukrainian SIG to meet at FHC April 24

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2003
      The Ukrainian SIG will meet at the Family History Centre
      April 24, Thursday, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
      We will have a jar out to accept donations for the FHC to purchase
      additional
      Ukrainian resources. Suggested minimum of $2 each person.
      Please R.S.V.P. to Xenia if you plan to attend:
      Phone 295-3490 or email:president@...
      Normally the FHC is closed Thursday evenings so we ask that only those
      interested in Ukrainian origins attend this time. Please bring
      your pedigree chart and name(s) of ancestral village(s), if known.

      I will also have copies of the updated presentation from the AFHS January
      Beginners session to hand out. This will include the baptism certificate
      with interpretation instructions as it will be difficult to put that online.

      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Rene Dussome
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2003
        Xenia:

        In the summer of 2001 I worked with a couple from High River whose
        ancestors were from the Ukraine. They were interested in records from
        the Greek Catholic Consistory of L'viv.

        In order to help these people the Director of the FHC agreed to obtain a
        film numbered 1921625 on extended loan.

        When the film arrived, not surprisingly it was in Ukrainian. A Ukrainian
        friend of mine transcribed the introductory pages to the best of his
        ability.

        Subsequently, the husband of one of the FHC staff members did another
        translation.

        I wrote to the High River couple to pass on this information but so far
        as I know they never returned to the Calgary FHC, at least not on my
        shift, so the matter was allowed to rest.

        Perhaps some of the members of your Ukrainian SIG will be interested in
        the film.

        I will give you the file of information about the film at the AFHS
        meeting next Monday.

        Rene Dussome

        > The Ukrainian SIG will meet at the Family History Centre
        > April 24, Thursday, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
        > We will have a jar out to accept donations for the FHC to purchase
        > additional
        > Ukrainian resources. Suggested minimum of $2 each person.
        > Please R.S.V.P. to Xenia if you plan to attend:
        > Phone 295-3490 or email:president@...
        > Normally the FHC is closed Thursday evenings so we ask that only those
        > interested in Ukrainian origins attend this time. Please bring
        > your pedigree chart and name(s) of ancestral village(s), if known.
        >
        > I will also have copies of the updated presentation from the AFHS January
        > Beginners session to hand out. This will include the baptism certificate
        > with interpretation instructions as it will be difficult to put that online.
        >
        > Xenia Stanford (president@...)
        > Column: "Nos Racines Francaise" http://globalgazette.net/
        > Local book and magazine sales: http://www.knowmap.com/age/
        > Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

      • Mertie
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 10, 2003
          Xenia: Yes, I plan to attend. Good idea to meet. I may be able to get to
          the LDS Center before April 24 to have a look at that film that is
          available. I may be able to read a few words. I'd like to know basically
          what it covers, what areas and what sort of information is contained.
          Will let you know what I find out. It won't be until probably the day
          of the 24th because I have my cousin from Sask. here right after Easter for
          Mon, Tues and Wed. Anyway will try.
          Mertie