Clearing up Madonna's ancestry

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2003
      Because I have heard people say such things as Madonna's name is not really
      Madonna and that Madonna was born in Italy of Italian parents, I feel that
      as she is a cousin of my children, I should correct those misconceptions.

      Madonna Veronica Louise Ciccone, born August 16, 1958 in Bay City, Bay
      County, Michigan, USA is the daughter of Sylvio P. Ciccone but few realize
      she is also a descendent of French Canadian ancestors.

      Sylvio was born in the US on June 06, 1931 - his parents Gaetano Ciccone and
      Michelina Dijulio from Pacentro, L'Aquila, Italy immigrated to the US on 1
      Jul 1922. (This is from a passenger's list but I am not 100% sure if it was
      the date they left or the date they arrived - I believe it is the former).

      Sylvio (nickname Tony) married Madonna Louise Fortin in Visitation Church,
      Bay City, Michigan, USA on July 02, 1955.

      Madonna Louise Fortin, who died when Madonna was about 5, was the daughter
      of Willard Fortin and his 4th cousin Elsie Fortin. Both Willard and Elsie
      were born in Bay City and married at the same church as their daughter and
      son-in-law but on November 23, 1929.

      Both Willard and Elsie's parents were from Canada. Elsie's mother,
      Marie-Louise Demers from Chatham, Ontario and her father, Guillaume Henri
      Fortin from Sherbrooke, Quebec. Louise and Henry (as they were known in the
      US) married in Au Gres, Arena County, Michigan, USA.

      Willard's father Narcisse aka Nelson Fortin was born in Rimouski and his
      mother Rose Lajoie was born to a Rimouski family who married in Belleville,
      Hastings County, Ontario. Rose and Narcisse (known as Nelson when he
      immigrated to the US) were married January 07, 1891 at West Bay City,

      The ancestry of my children and Madonna's are connected several times over
      through both Fortin lines making them 5th cousins once removed at the
      closest and also 9th through each degree to 12th cousins.

      So next time someone tries to tell you Madonna is Italian, tell them she is
      also half-Canadian!

      Well that is unless you are too embarrassed to do so!

      à bientôt,

      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564