Alberta Archives

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 24, 2003
      Planning my own 2005 Alberta centennial project collecting the history of WH
      Cushing (of Calgary) who was in the 1905 Alberta Cabinet. Saved a few items
      of historical interest about other elected representatives. There are notes
      at the end of some of the Calgary census transcriptions with interesting
      details from Glenbow online picture captions or local history books.

      Reaction to the 1906 census has been mixed. Sent copies of images to one
      cousin and didn't get a reply until the follow up "not very clear." Other
      people are thrilled to find familiar names in the census and learn how to
      save a small image. My research is not considered complete until I've found
      every member of the direct line households in every census and every source
      document that is available for a reasonable cost.

      Obits and biographies do not often tell much about the lives of women or
      children -- what were they doing while the men were attending several
      business meetings per week?

      Some Calgary women had large families and boarders besides. Others had grown
      daughters living at home, sisters or hired help. Found another former
      teacher today. Daughters of prominent Calgary families were able to take
      advanced education. Some chose teaching careers and world travel rather than
      raising families of their own. -- Elizabeth

      Message 2 of 4 , May 12 9:24 PM
        Hi everyone,

        I need someone to answer some questions for a University researcher on
        researching in Alberta Archives. Only a series of six question that the
        researcher will either phone about or communicate by email

        Regards

        Gordon Lane
        Chairman,
        Alberta Family Histories Society
        712-16th Ave NW.
        Calgary, AB, Canada
        T2M 0J8
        (403)214-1447

        AFHS Webster
        Editor Chinook

        AFHS Website: http://www.afhs.ab.ca

        Family website
        http://www.rumbolt.com

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Ancestor Find
        Message 3 of 4 , May 13 7:32 AM
          Gordon, about researching in the Alberta Archives - I have the 13 page
          handout that was in the syllabus from the recent AGS held in Edmonton. I
          know the lady who gave the lecture (Norma Wolowyk) so direct the researcher
          my way. I can photocopy the handout and send it on to him if it will be
          useful.

          Sincerely,

          Beverley A. Rees, genealogist
          Ancestor Find
          http://www.familyhistree.com

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • Ian Holmes
          Message 4 of 4 , May 13 10:31 AM
            Hi,

            It isn't clear from Gordon's message whether it refers to the PAA
            (Provincial Archives of Alberta) or the scores of other archives which
            are scattered throughout the province.

            As indicated by Beverley Rees, Norma Wolowyk and others at the Alberta
            Genealogical Society are familiar with the materials at the NEW PAA and
            gave a session at our recent AGS conference.

            For the more general "researching in Alberta Archives" the researcher
            may wish to contact the Archives Society of Alberta at:

            http://www.archivesalberta.org/general/contact.htm

            Michael Gourlie was previously the Executive Director at ASA but I see
            he is now listed as a "contractor".

            Ian Holmes