Re: MB Vital Stats

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 24 4:28 PM
      Linda wrote:
      > It would appear the site is working now. I have had Great success but
      > am thinking that perhaps not all BMD were registered or perhaps some
      > records from further back have been lost as I am missing some early
      > deaths - have seen the headstones at Boyd Cemetery at Bethany (near
      > Minnedosa) and have also seen the newspaper clipping announcing the
      > death there.
      >
      > This is a fabulous resource - we can only hope that other provinces will
      > follow.

      Don't hold your breath in Alberta. Just talked with a provincial
      archivist this a.m. -- between 1980 and now they were to have increased
      staff from 30 to 60; instead they've dropped to 18. Provincial
      budgetary support is so low, that they can only afford 1 static webpage.
      I do hear that the AGS turns out in good numbers to offer volunteer
      support ... but that's not enough to get government online in modern ways.

      So .. the next time The Province asks how it should spent it's money ...
      think (along with other important matters) about Archives.

      --
      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel, Webster

      and

      webster@...

      Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

      1906 Census Transcription Centre
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • william campbell
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 24 9:29 PM
        VERY WELL COVERED, JUDII.

        I guess archives don't make as much money as oil/gas wells <G>

        Cheers

        Bill

        Judith Rempel wrote:

        > Linda wrote:
        > > It would appear the site is working now. I have had Great success but
        > > am thinking that perhaps not all BMD were registered or perhaps some
        > > records from further back have been lost as I am missing some early
        > > deaths - have seen the headstones at Boyd Cemetery at Bethany (near
        > > Minnedosa) and have also seen the newspaper clipping announcing the
        > > death there.
        > >
        > > This is a fabulous resource - we can only hope that other provinces will
        > > follow.
        >
        > Don't hold your breath in Alberta. Just talked with a provincial
        > archivist this a.m. -- between 1980 and now they were to have increased
        > staff from 30 to 60; instead they've dropped to 18. Provincial
        > budgetary support is so low, that they can only afford 1 static webpage.
        > I do hear that the AGS turns out in good numbers to offer volunteer
        > support ... but that's not enough to get government online in modern ways.
        >
        > So .. the next time The Province asks how it should spent it's money ...
        > think (along with other important matters) about Archives.
        >
        > --
        > In Kinship,
        > Judith Rempel, Webster
        > rempel@...