Connaught School history

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19, 2002
      Does anyone know of a history of Connaught School? Mary Willetts is
      mentioned page 55 in School Days a Century of Memories by Stamp. She was a
      primary teacher at Connaught until 1916 and started the first Home & School
      Association in Calgary. Her husband Henry Luck was principal of Central
      (James Short) from 1906 and then the first principal when Connaught opened
      in 1912. His obit said he was principal until about 1929 (age 75.)

      Started off photographing the graves of Mr & Mrs Luck at Burnsland, then
      found the obits for both in microfilms. Took pictures of the school
      yesterday and also noticed that some of our family members attended
      Connaught when they were

      AFHS Digital Library Vol 1 made it possible to find the first clues to some
      very interesting people. Special thanks to all the Calgary people who worked
      on the Burnsland project and the CD from my research contact in Florida and
      myself. Mr. Alfred Caldwell (brother-in-law of Mr. Luck) who died Feb 1911
      in Calgary is missing from the Union records, still checking in Ontario.
      Elizabeth

    • Eileen McElroy
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 19, 2002
        Elizabeth:

        This is listed in the Glenbow Library on-line catalogue.

        372.97123
        C752
        Pam

        Connaught's 75th reunion : collection of memoirs / [edited by Ken Penley]. [Calgary : Connaught 75th Committee?] , 1987.
        14 p. ; 22 cm.
        Cover title.

        1. Connaught School 2. Calgary, Alta. - Schools 3. Schools - Alberta - Calgary
        I. Penley, Ken II. Connaught 75th Committee
        [88041906]

        Regards,
        Eileen

      • Herb Spear
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 19, 2002
          Ken Penley is a member of the Hist.Soc.

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 19, 2002
            Eileen

            I know this is off topic, but ----
            I am presently looking at a picture of Joyce McElroy in the 1946 " Evergreen and Gold" year book and her picture is right next to mine.
            Is there any connection??

            Larry

            Larry & Doreen McCool
            Calgary, AB Canada