Re: Happy Saint Patrick's Day to you!

  • Bob McNarry
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 17, 2003
      Xenia Stanford wrote:

      > Happy Saint Patrick's Day to all from the Emerald Isle or whose ancestors
      > hail from there. And to all the wanna-bes, like me!
      >
      > Although I do not have a drop of Irish blood myself, my children are more
      > Irish than any other nationality.
      >
      > Anyway hope everyone has a great day whatever nationality!
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Xenia Stanford (president@...)

      Thanks Xenia, my ancestors hail from Donaghadee in County Down! Names wirh
      the spelling McNarry are quite rare.

      Chees, Bob McN

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Alan Muise-Benner
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 17, 2003
        Thank you, Xenia. I too would like to pass on my wishes to all, on this
        festive occasion on the Emerald Isle, and elsewhere.

        Sona La Le Phadraig agus Slainte!

        Al

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 17, 2003
          Forgot to give you my children's Irish surnames:

          O'Loghlin/O'Loughlin County Clare -

          From cemetary and tombstone in Notre Dame des Neiges cemetary, Montréal.
          Tombstone reads: "In memory of James O'Loghlin, a native of Liscannor Co.
          Clare,
          Ireland died 2 June 1884 aged 60 years and of his beloved wife Ellen McGrath
          died 22 Jan 1888 aged 72 years".

          Also of Martin O'Loghlin died 30 March 1892 aged 60 years and of Mary
          Mullins
          a native of Clin Co. Limerick, Ireland, beloved wife of Martin O'Loghlin
          died 18 April 1886 aged 63 years. 'May Their souls rest in peace Amen'."

          James and Martin were brothers - the family legend was that 5 brothers all
          set sail from Ireland (date unknown) - all were pub owners. 3 went on to the
          U.S. James initially worked as a policeman in Montreal and Martin was the
          principal owner of the pub. Later split into two pubs. - one owned by Martin
          & sons at corner of Prince and Ottawa streets, the other by James & sons at
          the corner of Lagauchetiere and Hermine Street. Not sure what happened to
          Martin's sons but pub. was gone by turn of the century. One inherited by
          James' son was kept in family until about 1930.

          Harrington/Driscoll of County Cork, Ireland

          At least three sons came to Canada. All were shoe-makers. First Canadian
          marriage recorded in 1845 in Montreal. Son from which my children descend
          was Jeremiah Harrington who in 1853 married Anne Murphy (one of his brothers
          married Anne's sister), daughter of then deceased Patrick Murphy, tailor,
          and Anastasia Shea, origin Ireland (but no county given). John Harrington,
          son of Jeremiah and Anne, married Margaret McKeown, born in Ireland,
          daughter of Charles McKeown (McKeon) and Mary Anne Lyons. Curiously, Patrick
          Murphy is not listed as deceased at his other daughter's wedding 2 weeks
          later. He is listed as a labourer on that one but on his son's marriage (to
          Mary Greely) in 1861 he was listed as deceased tailor. I know the two brides
          (Anne and Elizabeth) were sisters because it says so in the marriage records
          and that they married brothers (also because says so in marriage records)
          and both were minors so the mother gave her permission. Thus I believe
          Patrick Murphy was deceased before 1853 though I did find a Patrick Murphy,
          tailor, listed in a Montreal business directory around 1845.

          Shea/Connor(s)/McKeon/Dowd -

          Maurice Patrick Shea, born August 01, 1794 (according to military record
          Trien, Knockanure, County Kerry, Ireland; according to his "supposed"
          statement in Cork City, Cork) married Mary Connor in February 1824 somewhere
          in County Kerry.

          Their son Walter Joseph Shea married Alice McKeon, daughter of Patrick
          McKeon and Ann Dowd of Fermanagh, Ireland. Ann's parents were Daniel Dowd
          and Ann McHugh. Patrick's parents were Cornelius McKeon and Elizabeth
          McMannus, who were present at son's wedding in Montreal on July 29, 1845.

          So if any of you recognize the names perhaps we can share information for
          St. Patrick's Day!

          Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • Mertie
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 17, 2003
            Hi Xenia:

            I have a good Irish name: Beatty, but neither my husband nor I have
            even one drop of Irish blood. Art took his step dad's name after growing up
            as part of the Beatty clan. But we do wear GREEN.

            Mertie Beatty