Digital Scrapbooks

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2003
      Judii Rempel sent a link to a very interesting article today (see below),
      the 7th anniversary of my permanent Family Tree Maker scrapbooks. Favorite
      scanner software has always been the current version of Paint Shop Pro which
      also has a new album program. http://www.jasc has trial versions of software
      for anyone able to handle large file downloads.

      I'm using FTM for digital camera scrapbooks in preference to any of the
      album programs available. Files have up to 750 images each with detailed
      captions. Each FTM database becomes a single file that is easily copied to
      any media with sufficient capacity. Files are kept under 50 mb by choice.

      My backup system for scanned images and digital camera pictures switched
      from 36 floppies in 1996 to multiple CDs in 1997 and multiple DVDs in 2002.
      Moving a hard drive with 25,000 organized JPG images from one computer to
      another resulted in the loss of all images. CD-ROM backups of about 600 mb
      have been more reliable and recent DVD Recordable allows about 4 GB.

      Favorite method to resize pictures for family history projects is send to
      e-mail in Windows XP. The images are smaller and better looking in a shorter
      time than manually adjusting settings in Paint Shop Pro or other software.
      FTM files have scrapbooks telling the life story of each person from birth
      certificate to their most recent picture or final resting place.

      I won't be able to attend the March 8 computer group meeting but always
      interested in exchanging picture ideas by private e-mail.

      The *safest* method for organizing thousands of digital images is a simple
      one -- Windows folders and sub-folders with a unique readable file name for
      each image. Code numbers are okay for a series in a distinctive sub-folder
      like the way Judii has named census transcription files.

      Test any photo organization method by copying files to a second computer or
      sending a small sample by e-mail to someone who will let you know if the
      method is successful. Viewing an album might be easy but combining pictures
      saved by relatives using different albums might require starting over. One
      man posted to a photo mailing list that his $300 album program was no longer
      sold. -- Elizabeth

      ---------

      This article from NYTimes.com
      has been sent to you by rempel@....

      Adobe Photoshop Album was advertised yesterday in Future Shop flyer.
      Cull, Then Categorize: A Digital Scrapbook
      March 6, 2003
      By TOM Di NOME
      Options for managing digital images have proliferated almost
      as rapidly as the cameras themselves.

      http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/06/technology/circuits/06basi.html?ex=1047954
      280&ei=1&en=7fbd5109290e2e38

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • John Currie
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 16, 2003
> [...]
        >
        > Test any photo organization method by copying files to a second computer
        or
        > sending a small sample by e-mail to someone who will let you know if the
        > method is successful. Viewing an album might be easy but combining
        pictures
        > saved by relatives using different albums might require starting over. One
        > man posted to a photo mailing list that his $300 album program was no
        longer
        > sold. -- Elizabeth
        >
        > ---------
        >
        > This article from NYTimes.com
        > has been sent to you by rempel@....
        >
        > Adobe Photoshop Album was advertised yesterday in Future Shop flyer.
        > Cull, Then Categorize: A Digital Scrapbook
        > March 6, 2003
        > By TOM Di NOME
        > Options for managing digital images have proliferated almost

      • Joyce O'Brien
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 16, 2003
          John I have figured out the MRSYD thing and have begun printing off the
          pages. They have a lot of Dills, also Caldwells.
          Joyce